Friday, September 12, 2008

Oh Yeah! O Si!

What took me so long!? I finally made the Potato-Kale Enchiladas from "Veganomicon." Hot Damn! The enchilada sauce is so delicious. The filling is so amazing. It reminded me of a mexi version of the blitva s krumpirom dish that we fell in love with in Croatia last year.

The only downside? The book said this would take me about an hour, but it took me at least two hours! That's not always a problem, but my poor grandpa didn't get to eat dinner until 8 pm! Lucky for me, he was a good sport about it. And even with a two hour time investment, I'll definitely make these again. Maybe just for special occassions. That's how good they are. Even Musty, the kale-hating love of my life, loved these babies!

Sorry for the dark picture, it was the best I could do at 8 pm in my grandpa's kitchen with a raging appetite!

There was a little more than 1 cup of that delicious enchilada sauce left over, and I was determined not to let it go to waste. So, for a quick dinner on one of my late teaching nights, I cooked up some quinoa, added about 1.5 cups beans (that I had cooked up the day before), some cilantro, lots of lime juice, and the enchilada sauce. YUM. Served with a rainbow of fresh veggies to mix in with each bite: cabbage, tomatos, red-orange-yellow bell peppers, lime wedges, parsely, and fresh spring onions. I love this kind of dinner!

9 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:54 AM

    your poor grandpa! but I'm sure he feels lucky to have someone cook for him. I know I would.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yum, that's so my kind of dinner, too! and that enchilada sauce must be made of pure magic, I could eat it straight off a spoon. :p

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW that looks delish. Haha, it would have probably taken me THREE hours to make that, so you're a quicker cook than I am ;0) But hey, it sounds like it was definitely worth the long cook-time!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everything about those meals are making me drool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous6:14 PM

    It took me forever to make those enchiladas, too! I'm thinking of making them again though, since I've got a ton of kale.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, Amey, your quinoa plate looks as wonderful as the enchiladas! I'm always up for a new sauce, so I'll be sure to try this one.

    My box of gf mixes arrived today! I'm so thrilled! Each bag sounds wonderful and I hope I get a chance to use one as soon as tomorrow. Thanks so much for going to that trouble for me. I really really appreciate your kindness.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've made those twice now and they are soooo amazing- my only problem is getting the heat consistent. Using the same amount of anaheim peppers I've had wildly different levels of spiciness. What is up with that? But yeah, they are definitely big winners for people who are picky about kale. Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous12:19 PM

    The rainbow of veggies with your saucy quinoa bean mix looks awesome! We don't eat enough fresh veggies! I'm going to try that for dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been meaning to make those! I love that rainbow dish, yum!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, they really make my day! Thanks for reading my blog! I'm sorry I had to turn on word verification and comment moderation - I was getting so many spam comments!