Sunday, May 31, 2009

Artichokes From the Garden!

Check out these wonderful artichokes from our very own front yard veggie patch! This year I have a lot more veggie patch than before, and so in the middle of winter, on a whim, I planted some artichokes. Unbeknownst to me, it looks like I planted two different varieties. See how some are more open and spikey, and the others are more rounded and purpley?

Meow! While I was doing my artichoke photo shoot, little Yummers Potatoes was wondering what I was up to. Yummers loves him some green veggies, so he was probably investigating and trying to decide if he also liked artichokes (answer: not too exciting).

I let a couple of them get really huge and picked the others at a more medium size. I think I still have about 5 little tiny ones out there on the plants, that I'll let grow a bit more. I've never actually been a huge artichoke fan, but this season I discovered about making artichoke hearts, and that has been awesome. Just like I learned from my cookbooks, I shuck off all the tough outer leaves, trim the dark green bits from the base, cut them in half and scoop out the choke... then boil in lemony water for 5-10 minutes. MmMmMm! All the prep takes a while, but as long as you've got some Antiques Roadshow or some French Open to watch, it's not a problem.

Here's what I did with all those artichoke hearts: "Warm Chickpea Salad with Artichokes and Sun-dried Tomatoes" from "Voluptuous Vegan." Wow, what a delicious summery dinner. Chock full of flavor - aside from the obvious ingredients, the salad also had some sauteed garlic and onions and celery, plus a lemony-rosemary-olive oil dressing. It was filling but light, subtle but unusual and interesting flavors. I'll definitely make it again, when I'm in the mood to spend a while preparing artichoke hearts!

10 comments:

  1. Wow, I am really impressed! I wish I had my own artichockes. They sound fantastic with chickpeas and tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmm it really does look amazingly well worth all of your effort.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yum!! that is awesome. maybe i will plant some artichokes this winter! maybe they are the same variety, some just more mature than others??

    your recipe looks like it turned out fantastic. artichoke hearts are my favorite. i also love just steaming the whole artichoke and then using a ranch or italian dressing as a dipping sauce. mmm!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That chickpea salad looks really yummy and it has a few of my favorite ingredients; artichokes, chickpeas, and sun-dried tomatoes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! I am definitely going to make it! I love sundried tomatoes, chickpeas, AND artichoke hearts!

    ReplyDelete
  6. that sounds awesome. i love chickpeas and artichokes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are awesome!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. SO cool! Try the Stuffed Artichokes from Vegan Brunch!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Homegrown artichokes! Don't think I've ever seen that before. The one time I've been driving down around your area I passed a small town that declared itself the world capital of artichokes. Can't remember the name of it now...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Don't forget to let some flower. Not only are they beautiful but they attract bees. You're veggie patch will thank you!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, they really make my day! Thanks for reading my blog! I'm sorry I had to turn on word verification and comment moderation - I was getting so many spam comments!