Thursday, April 02, 2015

Hummus Nachos



Hummus Nachos 

I was cruising the vegan blogs, like you do, when I came upon One Arab Vegan's excellent post about Vegan Fattet Hummus. Voila! First of all, her dish looked amazing and perfect as it was. But also, it got me dreaming of Hummus Nachos... and decided to go for it. In particular I had a bunch of goodies left over from NoRooz that needed to find a happy home (in my belly!): flat bread in the freezer, emergency carton of hummus in case the children rejected my Persian food (they did not, so it remained unopened), a slew of fresh herbs, cherry tomatoes, and even a little bit of left over cashew chevre. And thus, this delicious dinner was created unto this earth. Yea, and it was received happily.

This doesn't really count as a legit recipe, since it had a few store-bought items as a starting point, but here's what happened:


Hummus Nachos
Serves two hungry people.

ingredients:
A few sheets of Trader Joe's Lavash bread
Some hummus (I used one carton of Trader Joe's eggplant hummus)
1/2 cup unsweetened vegan yogurt (I used my homemade soy yogurt based on Miyoko's recipe)
2 small Persian cucumbers - seeded, peeled, scored, sliced into half moons
1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
some kalamata olives, chopped up
a little red onion
a drizzle of fresh lemon juice
a sprinkle of minced fresh parsley, oregano, mint (or whatever herbs you've got on hand)
crumbled cashew chevre (I used some leftovers made by Heidi Ho and Treeline)
2 Tbsp pine nuts


Make it happen!
Preheat your over to broil or low-broil. Lay your lavash breads out on a cutting board and use a knife or pizza cutter to cut them into diamonds or squares. Lightly spray or brush your lavash pieces with olive oil and sprinkle on some kosher salt. Spread that whole biz out on a large cookie sheet and pop in the over. Check on them every couple of minutes and toss them around with a spatula a few times... Broil until they are mostly golden and toasty brown in areas.

In a small bowl, mix together the hummus and yogurt. Have your veggies all sliced and ready to go.

Spread out the lavash chips evenly on two separate dinner plates. Pour half the hummus + yogurt mix on each pile of chips. On each plate, sprinkle on half of the cukes, tomatoes, olives, and red onion. Then, drizzle a little fresh lemon on each plate, and garnish with the pine nuts, crumbled chevre and fresh herbs.

Dig in!


nacho night

This dinner was a total hit! We both loved it so much. Also, we both got hummus all over our hands and it was super messy fun. I loved the crispy toasted bread and the creamy hummus and the fresh crunchy veggies, and the salty olives and the fatty pine nuts and chevre bits. A totally lovely and satisfying combination of flavors and textures. Mmm. Will definitely make again. Possibly quite soon, since I still have one more carton of hummus to repurpose. 

5 comments:

  1. This looks like a very fun, messy kind of dinner. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, it was very messy! and fun!

      Delete
  2. Wow, what can't hummus do?! I have been mixing hummus into rice, using it on pizza, but had not seen this non-traditional use. Excited to try this :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes - try it! it's so fun and easy and you can pretty much just follow your instincts and it will be good no matter what!

      Delete
  3. oh my gosh, a palestinian restaurant downstairs!? What's not vegan about their version?? Couldn't they veganize it for you? Have you tried making your own cashew cheese? It's actually pretty easy - and totally delicious.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, they really make my day! Thanks for reading my blog! I'm sorry I had to turn on word verification and comment moderation - I was getting so many spam comments!