Monday, September 04, 2006

5 Foods to Eat Before You Meet Your Maker!

Chris over at Eat Air & MadeinAlaska both tagged me for this fun activity... name five foods you think everyone should try in their lives. It's really fun to think about. My choices are pretty simple... but I guess that means that simple foods are my favorites. I thought about it a lot, and these are all foods that I can't stop oohing and aaahing over while I eat them.

These are in no particular order:
1. Fresh raspberries off the vine.
My grandparents (mentioned in my previous post) have a huge and prolific garden in their backyard. For as long as I can remember, their prized crop has been their red raspberries. Their vines are so abundant and the raspberries are a real family favorite. Each of us has a very special place in our hearts for the experience of popping a big, warm, ripe raspberry into our mouth, straight off the vine.... Heaven!!

2. Fresh organic strawberries.
Here in Santa Cruz, strawberry season lasts a really long time. So we're really spoiled that we get many months of organic berries at our farmer's market. Sometimes I'll buy 2 or 3 baskets, drive home, chop off the stems, and eat them all at once! YUM

3. Fresh, warm sourdough bread, toasted (Earth Balance optional)
I love, love, love toast. In high school, I wrote a love poem to toast. Toast is definitely my number one comfort food, and toasted moist sourdough really transports me into a land of peace and happiness.

4. Any combination of fresh, ripe tomatoes off the vine/bread/garlic/fresh basil/salt
This combination could be on a pizza, on bruschetta, or as a pasta dish. I've spent a lot of time in Italy, and this has strongly influenced my deep, deep appreciation for this magical combination of flavors. It is imperative that the tomatoes here be delicious, ripe, and flavorful. This combo really gets me going... I usually can't shut up about how happy I am when I'm eating this!

5. Fresh Apricots & Fresh Figs off the tree
Cheater Alert! I packed two things into the last one. I hope it doesn't disqualify me altogether. I was lucky to grow up with an apricot tree in my backyard (which has since died), and that tree taught me that few things could ever be more delicious than a warm, fresh, soft apricot. So sublime. And I included fresh figs, because it's a similar joy. Apricots and figs are both so sugary and fragile and delicate that they really can't be shipped or transported well... they are at their very best straight off the tree & into the mouth!

Yum yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, they really make my day! Thanks for reading my blog! I'm sorry I had to turn on word verification and comment moderation - I was getting so many spam comments!