Saturday, October 07, 2006

Another Massive Blog Entry!

Well, as soon as I got home, I got a big bad cold. Ugh. So, that combined with jet lag has kept me away from blogging. I keep meaning to, and then I keep falling asleep. Whoops! Instead, I'll update the last few days here in one fell swoop.

This is the Curried Yellow Split Pea Soup from the Real Food Daily cookbook. What a great cookbook, by the way! I definitely recommend it for any vegan out there. This soup was a really nice variation on classic Split Pea, with carrots, onion, parsnip... and a few other goodies.

Crepes are a popular dessert item in Croatia, and I got jealous watching Musty eat crepes after dinner... so I've been thinking about crepes for a few weeks now! So, I made up a whole huge batch of crepes, based on the recipe from VwaV.

We ate our crepes along with some delicious warm Apple-Pear-compote (also from the Real Food Daily cookbook). Very easy, and very delicious on the crepes... especially with a little bit of Earth Balance too. MMMMMM

Two nights ago I made Roasted Winter Vegetables from RFD. FAN-tastic! I really, really recommend this recipe, great seasoning! Potatoes, sweet potatoes, red onion, turnip, carrots, and butternut squash (from our own garden!). It was great (except the turnip, which neither of us liked) Here are the veggies all cut up.

And here they are, all roasted and yummy. Even the leftovers were delish.

I also made this great recipe called "Mexicali Chop" from the RFD cookbook. It's a very tasty salad with beans, bell peppers, onions, corn, tomatoes, lettuce... a few other goodies, and some lime cumin vinagrette. Very nice.

Well, last night my cold and my jet lag really got the best of me (and my appetite), and I had some Soken ramen. I know, I know,... not very nutritious, but sometimes it's just what hits the spot when I'm all stuffy and feeling icky.

And finally, this is what happens if you take a vegan to Eastern Europe for a month, and then bring her back home to Santa Cruz and set her loose at the Farmer's Market! Craziness! I went nuts. We are having a birthday party for my mom tomorrow, so luckily I had an excuse to buy tons of stuff. Collards, cherry tomatoes, strawberries, bell peppers, eggplants, apples, and so on and so on. I love California!

I'll get some pics of whatever I make for dinner tomorrow! :)

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:15 PM

    Nice to see all the stuff from RFD! Interesting re: the turnips. I have had some terrible bitter-tasting turnips. I think I determined that I only like the real young turnips (from the farmers market, or I have grown them in the past). I don't like the older ones much at all, and usually I have just put a small amount in a soup or winter veg mash. Not my favorite vegetable. But yay for butternut squash -- I also have lots from the garden this year. It was more successful than usual, so I have lots of delicious squashy dishes planned.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes!
    that's exactly right, the turnip bits were so bitter. Blech. I do really like rutabegas though, maybe I'll use one of those next time.
    :) Amey

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, they really make my day! Thanks for reading my blog! I'm sorry I had to turn on word verification and comment moderation - I was getting so many spam comments!