Wednesday, October 07, 2009

VeganMoFo 6: Pasta! Pasta!

For me, pasta = soul food. I love pasta... it's hearty, filling, delicious and carby. And yet, my love for pasta pales in comparison to Mr. Vegan Eats & Treats' love for pasta. Every. Single. Time. I ask him what he wants for dinner, he says "Pasta!" Without any hesitation.

This is the "Robust End Of Summer Pasta" from Local Flavors, by Deborah Madison. It's a combination of eggplants, roasted bell peppers, and tomatoes... all cooked down into a rich, thick sauce. It was delicious, which of course I knew it would be. It's hard to go wrong with ingredients like that!

Look at this lovely shape! It's called "Foglie di Carciofe" (artichoke leaves)... and there's actual artichoke in the pasta. I love the petal-like shape, and the very delicate green flavor. I don't remember where I picked this up, but I wish I did, because I do remember that it was quite inexpensive. If I had known how delicious it would be, and how fun to eat it was, I would have bought another bag or two.

I cooked it up with some sauce straight from the garden - first I sauteed some garlic with a chopped up zuke and ronde d'nice squash from the yard... until the veggies were tender & well cooked. Then I added in a gigantic mess of chopped tomatoes, cooked it down a tiny bit, and added in a massive handful of fresh basil. Totally delicious. Mr. VE&Ts was happy.

4 comments:

  1. That pasta is GORGEOUS!! Artichoke leaves! Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never seen pasta like that. The only artichoke pasta I've seen is deBoles, but it was in ordinary shapes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That meal looks gorgeous and what amazing looking pasta! I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for some Foglie di Carciofe - it looks and sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought that pasta looked a bit like pumkin seeds. It is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, they really make my day! Thanks for reading my blog! I'm sorry I had to turn on word verification and comment moderation - I was getting so many spam comments!