Monday, November 01, 2010

VeganMoFo: Dia De Los Muertos Skull Cookies & Posole

Hello Everyone!! It's VeganMoFo! It's MoFo! Hoorah! Today is day one of the Vegan Month of Food, and I will attempt to blog every day this month. Furthermore! I am going to take you on a grand adventure... Around the World in 30 Days. Every day this month, I will feature a different meal from a different country. What fun! I even made a dorky logo (see right).

So, just to make the whole thing extra nerdy, I've decided to do this journey in a geographical order! I'm going to try to hit up most basic geographical regions, and so far, the hardest thing seems to be picking ONLY 30 countries. There are so many exciting cuisines out there to explore! So, today we are starting off our Grand MoFo Adventure just south of the border in Mexico...

Green Posole from Viva Vegan

I'm not sure if this was my first time cooking with tomatillos or not, but it was certainly my first culinary tomatillo experience in long while. For whatever reason, I don't see many tomatillos at our farmers' market, and I'm such a f.m. devotee, that it doesn't usually occur to me to get produce at the grocer. But, somehow this recipe caught my eye... and it was positively amazing. It's full of good stuff - seitan, beans, hominy, chard, lime juice, spices, tomatillos... every thing you could ever want in a one-bowl meal.

Mr. Vegan Eats and Treats was completely transported, declaring his undying love for this dish, and emphatically stating that I should just make this tomatillo sauce (exclusively) from now on and we could just put it on every thing we eat. It's always a nice feeling when he's such an enthusiastic eater. We both loved this dish and I'll most definitely make it again... next time I'm allowed to make Mexican food again!

Plus! Today is Dia de los Muertos, which is becoming one of my favorite holidays. I like the idea of remembering our loved ones with a combination of reverence and joy. Unlike genius Kittee, I was not up for making proper sugar skulls. So, I did the next best thing: sugar cookies decorated like sugar skulls! I had so much fun decorating all these little beauties... and this is only half of them. I took them to my Monday morning yoga class, and luckily there were just a few left for Mr. Vegan Eats & Treats.

Mr. VE&T loves sugar cookies most of all, and he's been gone for a few days, so I know he'll be happy to come home to a clean house and a plate of sugar skull cookies!

Happy Dia de los Muertos & Happy VeganMoFo!

ps. where will we be traveling next? come back tomorrow to find out!

39 comments:

  1. Surely what you meant was awesome logo?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those cookies are so cool!!!

    Happy MoFo! :) What a great idea to keep things interesting! Can't wait to see what you cook up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ODM!! (That's Spanish for OMG -- O Dio Mio!) Those skull cookies are FABULOUS!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your theme, Amey! And you have some awesome cookie decorating skills! They look beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The sugar skulls are amazing. Really, I admire them and your skills.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I adore you, Amey! I love the cartoons and the Carmen Sandiego tribute and the looks of that stew and your mad cookie decorating skills!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are the best MoFo-er!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your cookies are absolutely AMAZING. Love them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love, love, LOVE the skull cookies! I'm also all about Dia de los Muertos, especially this year; we were in New Mexico a few weeks ago, and it really reinforced the beauty and importance of this holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this idea! I'm a geography and food nerd so this is double the awesomeness for me. The cookies are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is an awesome first post. Love the cookies!!! I can't wait to see what you do for the rest of MoFo!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. YAY for international cuisine! I had lots of fun with the E.A.T World Challenge. Actually I kind of miss it now, I should do a few more "trips" and maybe we will meet somewhere around the world! :)

    Your cookies are so creepy and pretty! Creety? Preepy? I remember your cool Pan de Muerto from Vegan MoFo 2008!

    Have fun traveling, Ms. Amey Sandiego! :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amey! The logo is amazingly cute! I love the "Where in the World is Vegan Eats and Treats?" So adorable! Those sugar skull cookies are beautiful!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm in love, love, love with your sugar skull cookies! They're perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I was a sugar skull a couple of days ago, and I love your sugar cookies! They came out great :)

    Happy MoFo!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What an awesome adventure. I’ve got my bags packed and I’m ready to role and live vicariously through your tenacity to embark on such a wonderful expedition. I was in Mexico City several years ago for El Dia De Los Muertos and it was such an amazing celebration. One of my favorites… Carry on my friend. My passport is ready to roll..

    ReplyDelete
  17. are you kidding, amey? omg. and those cookies? i have to tell you something i have been thinking about for awhile. all this amazing stuff you always make, all this stuff you bring to your mom and to yoga. sugar skull cookies and amazing vegan travelogue cooking sprees. when i visited you in CA my friend, my friend amey. WE WENT OUT TO DINNER. huh??

    xo
    kittee

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love these cookies! Happy MoFo!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. WOWZA I love those cookies. Excellent job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. wow - those cookies are out of this world amazing. preepy, indeed! can't wait to read more of your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  21. OMG i need to try that VV recipe! (i have been eying it for awhile)... those cookies look fabulous too... all i can say is wow :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. oh wow your skull cookies are so cute! love them!

    ReplyDelete
  23. That logo is AWESOME! I'm loving this theme and I'm so happy your first post was Mexican food! Those sugar cookies ROCK SOCKS!
    Happy MoFo'ing.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Anonymous2:08 AM

    Happy MoFo. Great idea and can't wait to see where this trip is going to.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Those cookies are SO GORGEOUS! Martha Stewart eat your heart out, well done! x Vee

    ReplyDelete
  26. I just came across your blog now and those sugar cookies look AMAZING! I'm impressed! All of your food looks super delicious :D

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love your idea to for vegan MoFo! And I keep meaning to get Viva Vegan, and this makes me want that book even more...*drool*

    ReplyDelete
  28. I had some wonderful posole in Washington two months ago, my first time ever eating it (and my first time in Washington). I HAVE to get my hands on a copy of that book! Your posole looks fabulous!

    Looking forward to traveling the world with you!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Anonymous7:48 AM

    Dios Mio! I am jealous of your cookies. Every year, Guppy & I do something special - Dia de los Muertos bread or sugar cookies - but this year it just didn't happen (our boiler broke the night of the 31st - so no heat or hot water...distracted me!).

    Anyway - love the cookies!!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. GAAAH those cookies are so cute my head is going to explode! All my friends and I were obsessed with dia de los muertos in college and always had a theme party, I have to show them these cookies!

    And glad that you tried the posole, its one of my bookmarked recipes and I'm glad to hear its good!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Ok, best halloween cookies I've seen this year! Happy MoFo, will be reading ;)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Anonymous12:39 PM

    beautiful cookies! I love that posole it is the perfect cold weather stew!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love your logo and the Carmen Sandiago-map!

    The posole from VV is the BEST! And your skull cookies are amaazing!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Anonymous11:32 PM

    Ahhhhh! I want those cookies!!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Love the sugar cookie! Super cute.

    ReplyDelete
  36. very nice cookie decorating skills!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Oh those cookies are so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  38. I'm so glad you picked around the world in 30 days! Your skull cookies are so fun. And now I can add Viva Vegan to my list of cookbooks to purchase! You've thoroughly convinced me that I must get it.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, they really make my day! Thanks for reading my blog! I'm sorry I had to turn on word verification and comment moderation - I was getting so many spam comments!