Sunday, November 07, 2010

VeganMoFo: Haitian Banana-Lime VooDoo Tofu

From yesterday's meal in Cuba we'll take a quick little trip over to Haiti, for a Haitian meal. I got a bunch of international cookbooks out from the library (you should see the piles of cookbooks on my dining room table!)... including one called "Caribbean Light." Flipping through it, I couldn't help but notice "Haitian Banana-Lime VooDoo Chicken." I was pretty much seduced by that excellent name. Well, a few days later, take out the chicken, add in some tofu & you've got:

VooDooToFu!
Like I said, this recipe was originally for a whole stuffed chicken, but you already know that ain't gonna happen. Not in my kitchen! So, I took the stuffing and marinade recipes and turned it into stuffed tofu pockets!

The stuffing has chorizo sausage, lime juice, bread cubes, minced banana, rum, brown sugar ... and probably some other things too, all cooked together to make a stuffing. I thought it sounded pretty exciting... but unfortunately it really wasn't much of a home run. It turned out to be a lot of strong flavors competing with each other with a not-too-harmonious result. Mr. Vegan Eats & Treats decided to go back to the fridge for leftovers (ouch!), and after just one tofu pocket I turned my attention to the giant bowl of steamed green beans. Now I've got 4 more of these bad boys in my fridge. They're not so bad that I won't make my way through them, but this meal was definitely one of our first misses on our around-the-world culinary adventure.
Plus side: I re-discovered the joy of tofu pockets. They are fun! and special! What else should we stuff in our tofu pockets??

20 comments:

  1. With such a fun name, it's really a shame they didn't turn out. On the bright side, they brought us your tofu pocket sleep sack, which is a truly awesome illustration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. susan7:58 AM

    i am enjoying this little tour of different foods...and your drawings are so cute...love them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha. I love the tofu pockets and their many uses! "I'm so vegan, I sleep in a tofu sack!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry it was a disappointment...but who knew tofu pockets could be so hip? I've got my eye out for the sneaky tofu stuffer around here.... LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok, I'm kind of obsessed with the idea of tofu pockets now. Maybe it is just as simple as it looks, but I have to ask before I attempt...can you describe the making of said pocket? Thanks! (Oh, and your drawings are adorable!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those illustrations are the most adorable thing ever and just inspired me to make tofu pockets! That's really too bad yours weren't as delicious as you expected, though. I wonder what other fillings would be good for tofu...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your drawings are the best! Sneaky tofu stuffer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. They look really good. I've only stuffed tofu once and I actually had forgotton all about that until your post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It sucks that they weren't too tasty but I love the name! And they *look* yummy, if that helps! :)

    Heehee! I love your little sneaky tofu stuffer!

    Allow me to be predictable and suggest stuffing a tofu pocket with a cornbread stuffing. No?

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks so good and I LOVE the name too! Also, your illustrations are adorable :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely as usual! Loving your blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. i don't know, that looks and sounds pretty exciting to me! maybe their appeal will increase as leftovers.

    ReplyDelete
  13. amey, your drawings are just the best. sorry the tofu pockets came in last place. i love to stuff tofus! greens with sumac would be nice. i was gonna say with some pine nuts, but changed my mind.

    xo
    kittee

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous2:25 AM

    Aw, they look gorgeous, what a shame the taste didn't match! Best drawings, I wanna sleep in the tofu sack.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sorry to hear it was less than a homerun but all I can think now is how comfy a bad made of tofu would be. I might create a life-sized on and blog about it for mofo.

    ReplyDelete
  16. i'm sorry your stuffed 'fus were a little disappointing - they look yummy though. but i love the idea of stuffing them with all kinds of yumminesses! i'm never stuffed 'fu before and now i must, must, MUST! i think mushroom & spinach stuffed 'fu might be yummers. and might i add, i too love your drawings, Amey! they are simply the best (and the cutest ever. i can't help but smile when i see them.)!

    ReplyDelete
  17. tofu pockets is a new to me. thanks for bringing it up. i'll look into it. do you have a fav pocket recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anonymous7:33 AM

    I, too, was excited just by seeing the name of this dish. I'm so sorry it didn't work out to your expectations. They look great and maybe they were better on the 2nd day as all the flavors got to know each other better?

    ReplyDelete
  19. These looks AMAZING! I love your little drawings :)! Too cute.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ha ha. This is too cute, Amey!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, they really make my day! Thanks for reading my blog! I'm sorry I had to turn on word verification and comment moderation - I was getting so many spam comments!