Wednesday, November 10, 2010

VeganMoFo: Nigerian Baked Beans

Friends, today I feature a recipe from Nigeria, and friends, I have a new family favorite. Nigerian Baked Beans! Who would have ever guessed it? One of the things I am loving about this ATWI30D project is discovering all these amazing recipes in books I've had for years - and so many new flavors and combinations of flavors that I wouldn't have expected.

Without this special theme for VeganMoFo, I doubt I ever would have given this recipe a second glance. But, boy, did we both love it! Yet another hit from World Vegetarian. This recipe does take a while... you gotta soak and cook the beans, then they bake for 2 hours (though I cheated and we had our first serving after about one hour and 15 minutes, and they were great!). But even if you do go the whole long-term route with this recipe, you won't be disappointed. Plus, they're just sitting there in the oven the whole time, so you can be catching up on reading blogs for mofo, or practicing your headstand, or whatever you're into.

These amazing baked beans have got tomatoes, onions, curry, peanut butter... so many lovely flavors that all add up to an unexpectedly harmonious result. I thought they might be crazy rich, but instead they were only perfectly rich... and I was quite sorry when the leftovers were gone the next day. I'll definitely plan on making these yummies again and again. Deeelish!

9 comments:

  1. Damn, that looks and sounds very nice. Better than the Nigerian bean recipe I featured at Vegventures, even though it was good too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look super! And it reminds me that I need to make some baked beans.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds absolutely delectable, and I have that cookbook! I think I'll be making these.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Peanut butter?! Yum! I am so loving this series, its so inspirational!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are you able to post the recipe or are there copyright issues? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. curry and peanut butter? sounds so different but I do love baked beans. I would love to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice info here. Keep us these great posts!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous4:04 AM

    World Vegetarian sounds like a great book, I am going to have to check it out. Those beans sound delicious, I never would have thought to put peanut butter in a baked bean recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It sounds like the beans are worth the wait! Peanut butter? That sounds really really good. I love trying new favor combinations that aren't too traditional!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, they really make my day! Thanks for reading my blog! I'm sorry I had to turn on word verification and comment moderation - I was getting so many spam comments!