Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Vida Vegan Con: The Conference!

I'm just back from the 1st ever Vida Vegan Con, aka. Most-Awesomest-Fun-Time-Vegan-Paradise-Cool-People-&-Good-Times-Event-Ever. In case you were wondering, I had a kick-ass time! There's so much to say that I'm going to break up my VVC posts into 5 parts: the Conference, the Food, the People, The Swag & the Day After!
* bonus challenge: Where's Kittee?

The conference was so wonderful! There were so many great people. I met people whose blogs I've been reading for years, and people whose blogs I just heard about for the first time, and people who don't even have blogs (yet!).

I was signed up to speak at two events: a panel called Build-a-Blog, and our own self-styled all-vegan game show called Vegan Battle Royale. They were both great fun... but I have to say, that game show was just about the most fun I've had in a long time! Here I am with fellow game show planners and co-hosts, Kittee & Mo!

First place team: Team Vegan Destroyer! Glory in Victory!

Second place team: Vegan With a Shotgun! Dignity in Defeat!

Saturday night was a huge Gala event / fundraiser for Woodstock Farm Animal Sanctuary. Vegan food, music, dancing, friends, funky fun... it was great! Except that I got a cold and had to peel out around 9 pm. Sigh! Even vegans get colds sometimes!

Part of the fundraiser was a silent auction, with lots of great goodies that were donated. It was so fun to peruse all the cool offerings!

When I wasn't busy presenting or partying, I got to attend some of the other panels and talks, which was so wonderful. The people (presenters and attendees) were smart, fun, kind, compassionate, passionate, creative, energetic, interesting, and interested. It was absolutely rejuvenating to be in the company of such great people. Some of the classes/panels I attended included the Small Town Vegans (pictured), Planting Seeds of Compassion, The Marketing Panel, Publishing Panel, Opinionated Bloggers... and more. I know this photo is totally lackluster... but in fact it was really enthralling! There were so many great panels and talks and cooking demos, it was difficult to choose where to go and what to see. It was really inspiring, and I came away with so many ideas for myself, for my blog, and for activism.

5 comments:

  1. So excited to see the VVC posts starting to happen. It sounds so incredible and I'm looking forward to all 5 of your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like SUCH an amazing event! I've been lapping up all the tweets and blog posts I can find so that I could feel as if I sorta almost kinda was there! Glad it all worked out so well and am keeping fingers crossed I'll be at the next one (which will be--WHERE?) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so hard to sum it all up, isn't it? I'm really glad I got to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Amey! It was so nice meeting you as well! The conference was awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was great meeting you this weekend! What a fantastic conference (and a fantastic evening gown for the game show!) Looking forward to reading the blog manifestations of your new ideas...

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, they really make my day! Thanks for reading my blog! I'm sorry I had to turn on word verification and comment moderation - I was getting so many spam comments!