Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Flax Milk!

The folks at Good Karma asked if I'd like to try some samples of their new Flax Milk, and when I said "yes!," they sent 3 whole cartons! Wowzers!

I had never heard of Flax milk, but I was interested to try it - especially because each 1 cup serving has 1200 mg of Omega-3s. I don't know about you, but I'm not always so great about remembering to take all my vitamins. Having Flax Milk in my cereal seems like a really great, easy, and tasty way to have more Omega 3's in my diet.

The Flax Milk comes in 3 different varieties: Original, Unsweetened, and Vanilla. The ingredients list is more or less straightforward. For example, here are the ingredients for the Unsweetened:
All natural flaxmilk (filtered water, cold pressed flax oil), Tapioca starch, tricalcium phosphate, canola lecithin, natural flavors, sea salt, guar gum, xanthan gum, carrageenan, vitamin A palmitate, Vitamin D2, Vitamin B12

Compared to other non-dairy milks I've tried, I would say that Flax Milk was closest to rice milk. It's sort of thin like rice milk is, and is quite neutral in flavor. I like the thick creaminess of soy milk, and I like the nutty flavor of almond milk... but I also really like the huge blast of Omega-3's in this Flax Milk. I mostly used it in my cereal or in my coffee/hot beverages, because that's mostly how I use milk - and Flax Milk totally passed the test for both of those uses. On it's own, I did feel a little like you could feel all the various tapioca starch / xanthan gum / guar gum thickening going on... but I've really never been a straight up milk drinker anyway.

All in all, I really liked this flax milk - I am always a fan of unsweetened milks, and that was true this time too, though I also enjoyed the Original in my cereal and coffee. I used the Vanilla mostly for baking, where the vanilla would be a nice addition. I try to drink a lot of different types of milks, so that I'm not all-soy or all-almond, all the time... and I'll definitely add Flax Milk to the mix. Check it out!

And thanks so much to the nice folks at Good Karma for giving me a chance to try it out and tell you about it. :)

7 comments:

  1. They sent me 3 cartons too! And I loved them. I especially loved that the unsweetened only had 25 calories per cup!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks great! What country are you in?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous3:44 PM

    Cool, this is the first I’ve heard of it. I can’t get over how many different milks there are now, although I don’t think I can be swayed from my almond milk, I’d give it a try though. Next they’ll be making chai seed milk :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. delicious...I must check it out when i go grocery shopping next week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd never heard of it before! Sounds great, I'll have to keep an eye out for it. I try to do a variety of non dairy milks too. I eat ground flaxseed every day to get omega 3s but this would be a great addition!e

    ReplyDelete
  6. healthy vegan9:07 AM

    We should be grinding our flax seed. We should not eating flax seed oil. The problem with flax seed oil is it rapidly goes rancid.
    We should not be taken extra VIT A. This is also proven to be toxic,
    http://nutritionfacts.org/videos/antioxidant-vitamin-supplements/
    There is salt listed, we should not be adding salt to our diets.
    This is not a healthy product and I would not recommend it, even if I got it for free.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous7:04 AM

    Healthy Vegan,

    I agree with you BUT .. what about someone such as myself.

    - I cannot and will not drink dairy milk.
    - I can't drink almond or any kind of nut milk anymore.
    - Soy, the kind you buy in stores at least, is not healthy. Soy milk is not a health food and I won't play around with that. I've seen weird things happen when people ingest soy products.
    - I've tried rice milk. It has tons of additives and something in it doesn't agree with me.

    I already am on the most limited diet in the world. People might as well tube feed nowadays. It's easier.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, they really make my day! Thanks for reading my blog! I'm sorry I had to turn on word verification and comment moderation - I was getting so many spam comments!