Monday, June 10, 2013

Birthday Weekend of Yum

 This  weekend was my birthday! Not just any birthday, though... it was my 40th birthday! 
ZING! That's crazy! 
I had a totally great weekend. It was pretty much perfect.
There was some friendly time, some hubby time, and some alone time. Some great yoga, some great dog walks, some lazing on the sofa. There was a great family dinner. Time for reflection and time for goofing off. I feel happy and super loved. And, of course, there was some top-rate noshing too.


My aunt brought me a basket of raspberries from her backyard. These are extra special though, because she lives in the house where my grandparents lived for my whole life. And they were the ones who planted these raspberries. I grew up eating them off the vine, and helping my grandparents pick them... So, they were very sentimental and extra delicious raspberries.


Fresh OJ from our orange tree, fresh berries from my friend Jane's farm, a savory scone from my freezer (and from Dovetail Bakery before that), and some delicious Curried Tofu Scramble (from Appetite for Reduction.) YES.

I actually had TWO super awesome breakfasts on my birthday weekend - one with friends on Saturday, and one (with leftovers!) with Mr. Vegan Eats & Treats on Sunday. Pretty much the best.


Plus, there were waffles. It was my birthday after all!! I made a double batch of the Raised Waffles batter from Vegan Brunch, which are my favorite waffles of all. On Saturday, I added blueberries, which was super yummy - but which also resulted in the waffles totally sticking to my excellent non-stick waffle iron. So, on Sunday, I kept it simple with plain waffles. On the side was some leftover Apricot-Cherry Crisp (from Local Flavors, by Deborah Madison).

Saturday night, we had a family birthday party, and in order to accomodate the many requirements of my excellent family - we settled on a BYOBurger party. It was perfect! There were portabello mushrooms, veggie burgers, non-vegan burgers... something for everyone to feel happy. Plus, loads of delicious corn and a ginormous salad. For dessert, I made the aforementioned crisp, which turned out really great. It was easily made soy-free and gluten-free, and was so packed with apricots and cherries that it was obviously delicious. It would take some serious intervention to make something filled with apricots and cherries NOT yummy.



What about presents?? Well, this is a crappy picture, but Mr. VE&T got me a TOASTER OVEN. Just days before my birthday, my ancient toaster oven broke. Toast is very important to me. A birthday just wouldn't be a special day without toast. So, when I came home from teaching and found a beautiful, shiny new toaster oven, I was totally delighted. Now, here is a man who knows me well!

I love it, and it makes golden, delicious toast. It is good.

On the night of my actual birthday, I made some delicious sandwiches, and was so blissed out that I totally forgot to take pictures. So, instead, I have drawn a picture for you. I made the Grilled Herbed Tofu Sandwiches from Real Food Daily.  It was a dream of culinary glory. SO GOOD. Mr. VE&T even said it was one of the best sandwiches he's ever had. 

For dessert, we made Rice Krispie Treats
This is us, dressed up as Snap, Crackle and Pop

Thanks to the magical glory that is Dandies Vegan Marshmallows, a vegan is free to make a whole tray of rice krispie treats and not have any left to photograph the next day. :) An excellent ending to a totally excellent birthday weekend!

 ~~~


p.s. In addition to getting some nice birthday prezzies, I also have a present for the lucky winner of my Great Gluten-Free Vegan Eats from Around The World giveaway: 
Congratulations to Cadry!!!

17 comments:

  1. Ah, happy belated birthday! Glad to hear it was such a fun, delicious, gratifying, and generally lovely one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you had such an amazing birthday weekend! So a happy belated birthday to you and glad to see that you enjoyed it very much! This blog post makes me look forward to my birthday this October. :)

    P.S: Those waffles look delicious! Lucky you! :9

    vegcourtesy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday! What wonderful treats you enjoyed during your celebratory weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,

    great recipes! I was wondering if i can include them on my new site about veganism, organic food, raw food, etc..

    I can include you on the resources list then.

    http://www.easyveganrecipes.eu

    Thank You!
    Vuchko

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy birthday (again)! Waffles with apricot cherry crisp sound so perfect, and the best way to begin a new decade!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy birthday! Looks like you celebrated in the best way, with plenty of scrummy vegan food!
    I should try making savoury scones, they sound fabulous.
    P.S Your drawings always make me smile, so thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy birthday! Your entire post made me smile. I can FEEL the love!! :) Your drawings are great - they are just one reason why your blog is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A belated Happy Birthday! Looks like you had an awesome bday weekend all around. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. There are a lot of congratulations due here. First, congratulations on turning 40 and being happy! It's so refreshing to see someone celebrating and not bemoaning a significant b-day. And you have so much to be happy about — a great family, great friends, great furries, great food, etc. etc. And last but not least, congratulations for learning how to turn a weekend into the equivalent of an entire week. With that bit of magic, you will live happily a lot longer than most people. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Grrrl, you make 40 look incredible! I'm so glad that you had an awesome birthday weekend. All of that breakfast food looks AMAZING! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy birthday, Amey! You deserve for every birthday (nay, every day!) to be as delicious as this one. Here's to the next decade of awesomeness!

    ReplyDelete
  12. happy birthday! it sounds like you had an amazing time!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy birthday! Sounds like food, presents and family were all wonderful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. A belated Happy Birthday to you Amey! Looks like a great weekend and woohoo on the new toaster. I was overjoyed when I got my new one.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy belated birthday, Amey! It looks like you truly celebrated it the right way, with the right foods.

    ReplyDelete
  16. wow.. i want those waffles and side on my birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Eeeeeek Happy Birthday almost-birthday-twin! I can't believe I haven't even started to blog about mine yet...I need to do that asap! What a wonderful weekend you had, those waffles look perfect and I love the story of the raspberries.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, they really make my day! Thanks for reading my blog! I'm sorry I had to turn on word verification and comment moderation - I was getting so many spam comments!