Saturday, September 21, 2013

Grandmommy's Crudite


The year that I was born, my grandparents were serving in the Peace Corps over in Ghana when my grandma developed some serious heart problems. They loved their time in Ghana, and probably would have stayed longer, but she needed to address her heart issues. The doctors wanted to put her on various heavy-duty drugs with massive side effects, but (in true DIY fashion) - she went to the library and started doing her own research.

She read about the Pritikin Diet (no salt, no sugar, no fat) - and fully committed to it, along with daily exercise. She was devoted to these choices, and they contributed to her living to the age of 89. I am so grateful to her for her disciplined commitment to healthy living, because it meant that I got to know her and love her and learn from her until I was 35 years old.



She did have a sweet tooth (which I inherited!), but she was steadfast in her Pritikin guidelines, and developed a genuine appreciate for the joys of healthy eating. One of her absolute number one things was just to eat plain veggies as a snack - and these were a few of her favorites: carrot sticks, peppers, and leftover steamed green beans. I actually steamed these beans and then put them in the fridge for the authentic experience. She brought veggies when we went camping, she ate veggies as a snack... it just seems to me that there were always veggie nibbles around when I was at her house. What a wonderful model she was for all of us!

Today my mom and I spent 13.5 hours painting the yoga studio I recently purchased... and I was very glad to have this plate of healthy, tasty little snacks for us to nibble on all day long. Grandmommy would have been proud of us: eating veggies and painting the walls together like proper DIY gals!


~~~
Instead of doodles (sorry!!), I have two bonus pictures of Yummers trying to steal my green beans while I was taking pictures:

 near victory!

plotting his next move. I love this picture!

17 comments:

  1. I can hear the love you have for your grandma. The colors of that plate are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! the veggies were so bright and radiant!! :)

      Delete
  2. susan6:06 AM

    i hope yummers scored!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your stories. Where is your studio? I live in Santa Cruz too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Connie! It's called Yoga Within, in Aptos (www.yogawithin.com). We are having a bunch of grand festivities this weekend, to celebrate our new ownership. Lots of free events! Come check it out! (details are on our website). And introduce yourself! :)

      Delete
  4. You did it! Excellent work-around, for your perfect record. I LOVE the final photo of Yummers preparing for the hunt. Everything about that photo works together so perfectly: the "story," the simplicity, colors, textures, composition ... Wow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Thanks mom! A million thanks, in fact, for laboring away with me into the wee hours of the morning!

      Delete
  5. It's wonderful to hear about people who have the self-love and assuredness to take their health into their own hands and be serious about it. Good for your grandma, and how lovely you knew her for so long. I ought to take a health tip from her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it, Foodfeud? I agree. My grandma was really amazing in that way. I never knew my dad's mom at all because she died before I was born, and it's weird to think how close I never came to knowing my mom's mom.

      Delete
  6. I love the pictures of Yummers! Cat photos are the best :) Looking forward to reading more posts with your beautiful drawings though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Imogen. I figured cat pics are at least a good substitute for doodles... but I promise an immediate return to doodletime!

      Delete
  7. Another beautiful story. I have started trying to snack of vegetables and fruit most of the time lately.
    And YUMMERS! Totally makes up for no drawing. Kitties are the best. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Yeah, kitties are so great!! :) I've also been trying to snack on veggies more lately... it takes a tiny bit of prep, but I actually find them quite satisfying.

      Delete
  8. Aaah, Yummers! Nefarious! My grandma loved raw fruits and veggies too; I remember being so surprised when other kids didn't eat jicama when I was in grade school.

    ReplyDelete
  9. aww look at yummers! my kitty loves taking my food too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous2:05 PM

    Your grandma set such a good example for healthy eating! I have raw veggies and dip almost every day for a snack, but my veggie choices get really repetitive sometimes. I love to munch on green beans raw!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, they really make my day! Thanks for reading my blog! I'm sorry I had to turn on word verification and comment moderation - I was getting so many spam comments!