Saturday, September 28, 2013

Mommy's Molasses & the Molasses Song



In my constant quest for access to sweet treats, every once in a while I would remember about the jar of molasses in the back of my parents' kitchen cupboard. My mom didn't bake much, but somehow she always seemed to have molasses on hand (probably the same jar for many years, now that I think about it!). If I asked my mom for a spoonful of molasses, I just might get lucky!


My anticipation would build as she'd open the cupboards and search through more frequently used items until she found the molasses in the back. Then, I'd watch with wonder as she opened the jar and poured out that thick, dark, gooey molasses into a little spoon for me. I loved it! The molasses was so intense and rich and only barely sweet - but it was still an exciting treat. Plus, I just loved the whole ritual of asking and holding the spoon, and pouring it out...


But, the best was yet to come. As I enjoyed my little spoonful of molasses, I would every time ask my mom to sing me "the molasses song." It was a crazy funny little song that she would sing for me, and - of course - she'd sing it for me every time I asked. "Molasses, molasses, it's icky sticky goo! Molasses, molasses, it's sure to stick to you!" Plus there were multiple nonsense verses that I loved to hear her sing. The whole thing was just one hundred percent goofy.


Yesterday, I asked my mom about that crazy song, and what was the deal with it anyway? She told me that it had been the B-side of some little 45 rpm record that she and her sisters had when they were kids and that they all loved it so much. She didn't even remember what the A-track was! So, on a whim, I did some YouTube searching and found a recording of the Molasses Song!!! Do yourself a joy favor, and listen to this oddball delight -- it's 3 minutes of jazzy nonsense!


These days, I also always have a jar of molasses in the cupboard. I usually use it when I'm baking gingerbread men, making cookies, or when I have oatmeal for breakfast. I do not EVER use my molasses without singing the molasses song to myself. This is a fact! Ha ha. This morning I made myself a little bowl of steel cut oats and poured on a couple teaspoons of molasses... It's just barely sweet, and it goes so nicely with the earthy chew of the oatmeal. For obvious reasons, I really love the flavor of molasses.


Plus, I got to sing the molasses song in my head the whole time I ate breakfast. 
A great way to start the day!

16 comments:

  1. What a way to start my Sunday! That song is hilarious! I didn't discover molasses until fairly recently but now love it straight off the spoon. It was also my "M" ingredient in my A-Z series this MoFo! I made Double Ginger choc-chunk muffins :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I missed your molasses post! I'll go check it out! I've been loving your A-Z theme!!

      Delete
  2. This is probably the best story you shared this mofo:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! It made me so happy to write it and to remember it!

      Delete
  3. What a funny story and song!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) I know! It's so fun and goofy!!

      Delete
  4. Susan G9:22 AM

    "Happy VeganMoFo! I love comments, they really make my day! "

    but not when someone speaks the truth about sugar fat and salt, those comments are quickly deleted.

    This comment will deleted too, which shows you care little for yourself and people you love.

    Cancer is a stark reality from eating to much junk food, I have seen cancer first hand, I hope you never have to go through what I have.had too!
    I write to you because you are a vegan, you are very creative person with lots of talent. I wish you would use those talents to help save the animals and also to help prevent the diseases we know are by eating unhealthy foods, like sugar, fat and salt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Susan, just read someone else's blog if mine gets you so worked up. Geez.

      Delete
  5. ooh i love molasses too. i love that stuff in any gingery concoction. My sis is preggers and anemic. She couldnt find molasses there so i sent some with mom. Now she is hooked on it. so much better than all those iron supplements upsetting her tummy and it also satisfies her strong sweet cravings!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooo, I always put molasses in when I make granola, and like pomegranate molasses on steel oats but have never put regular molasses on steel oats somehow! I love the little ritual with you and your mom, so great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My mom used to make us molasses sandwiches, or just really drizzle it on fresh Italian bread (we lived across the street from a bakery). I LOVED it as well, and was never anemic, go figure ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great story. I read about it in the Little House books, but I never knew what molasses tasted like until I grew up – haha.I just used it last week in my Spice Bread recipe which is up on my blog. I never tire of your cartoons, Amey <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. See, you shared a video of the song, which is great. But, you mentioned that you sing it regularly, yet you left us loyal readers hanging. I will organize a protest until you post a video of you singing it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a sweet post! Figuratively and literally! :)

    Now the molasses song is going to be stuck in my head for weeks! Aw, your favorite stuffed toy was Snoopy and now you have a real life Snoopy to squeeze and love and spoil!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love everything about this post Amey! The song, the doodle of your little stuffed doggie snoopy and as always your mom is so great.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so glad someone else knows that song!! Our molasses was reserved special for baking brown bread on the weekends and for those first hot slices of bread fresh from the oven.

    I don't think we were ever allowed to use it for anything else!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, they really make my day! Thanks for reading my blog! I'm sorry I had to turn on word verification and comment moderation - I was getting so many spam comments!