Friday, October 11, 2013

R.I.P., Dear Spice Grinder

Sometime during MoFo, I was making us a batch of dhal for dinner, when the inevitable finally occurred: my ancient spice grinder shorted out, made a sad little "pop" sound and a tiny spark, and died. You have surmised from my MoFo theme that I am a sentimental person, and this ugly beast was very dear to me. (A spice grinder that only a mother could love). The thing is, this was my parents' coffee grinder from as far back as I can remember.


Mommy's little helper

My parents both enjoy coffee, and I remember the distinctive sound of the grinding beans, then the gurgles of the coffee machine as their coffee was made each morning. At some point, I learned to help by scooping the beans and grinding them. It was so fun!

as you can see, this little device was very well-loved

Way down the line, my parents must have upgraded and my mom passed this little grinder along to me. I usually have my coffee ground when I buy it (I know, I know), but I put this grinder to great use as my spice grinder. Over the years, I've made countless batches of spice blends for Indian food, Persian food, MoFo posts, experimental creations... and it has served me loyally. In recent months, it had become finicky... I had to hold the cord at one exact angle in order for the motor to function.

cue the bagpipes

And then, the end came. I will miss my loyal friend, which is now snug in the trash bin. And I will go out, and forge a new friendship with a new spice grinder. Onward!

6 comments:

  1. That is sad! I broke 2 mugs today (before breakfast!) if it makes you feel any better.
    I grind my spices in my Tribest personal blender. Great for single-serve smoothies, sauces and dressings too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sorry about your grinder. I get sentimental about stuff, too. Not only that, but I have the worst time making my mind up about what to buy, and have to spend hours researching and then researching again before I can decide. You should introduce us to your new grinder when you get one. :)

      Delete
  3. Farewell, dear spice grinder.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's sad losing a beloved appliance. I lost my ice creme maker during a blog hop, and I was too broken hearted to replace him. My condolences.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my! I know how you feel. I've got a dictionary that I'm holding together with rubber bands and although I have several others in much better condition my favorite is the one that is falling apart. I'm sorry for your loss my friend

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, they really make my day! Thanks for reading my blog! I'm sorry I had to turn on word verification and comment moderation - I was getting so many spam comments!