Monday, September 01, 2014

Anniversary Grilled Veggie Sandwiches!

Happy VeganMoFo!

Such a wonderful time of year! I love MoFo soooo much and I look forward to meeting new bloggers, discovering new blogs, and reading posts from my favorite bloggers who I already know and love. I also really love Instagram, so I'm stoked to see new posts and new folks mofo-in' on Instagram.


cannonball!!!

This year, after various deliberations, I have decided to take the plunge into the unknown abyss of a themeless-MoFo!! Gasp! Usually I am such a diligent blogger, coming up with themes and doing work in advance and all that... but this year, I just couldn't do it. Something in my spirit longed to be set free, into the vast open space of themelessness. So, here we go!


Today is Mr. VE&T and my second wedding anniversary. In actuality, we have been together for almost 15 years, so celebrating "2 years" seems a little silly. But fun. And why skip out on another opportunity to celebrate our love for each other? So, we mostly just spent the afternoon together - and are planning to go out to a nice dinner together this evening.

beautiful, summery, colorful veggie goodness!

But, for lunch I decided to make something special. One of my MoFo ambitions is to push myself to experiment in the kitchen more often, and not be so dependent on cookbooks. I pretty much only ever cook straight from cookbooks, and I'm envious of my free-wheelin' friends who improvise and are creative in the kitchen. 

So, I came up with this idea of making Grilled Veggie & Tofu Ricotta "Sandwiches."

There are two big grilled eggplant "patties," filled with lots of tofu ricotta (with blended in fresh basil leaves), grilled yellow summer squash and green zucchini, fresh basil leaves, and a giant slice of heirloom tomato. Since we are hungry beasts, I made us two each, and we had no problem putting them away! I also included a big mountain of the marinated red onions from Terry Hope's new book, Salad Samurai. I am currently very in love with those onions and that book. That book alone is one reason I couldn't commit to a whole month of recipe-less-ness!

two years! we made it! 

Happy MoFo!
May we all be victorious in our posting and reading goals!

25 comments:

  1. Happy Anniversary! Happy Mofo! This is my first year posting (not reading). I'm really looking forward to seeing what my favorite bloggers come up with and finding new blogs to read also!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yay! good luck with your first ever MoFo! It's so fun - and don't get discouraged if you miss a day or two!

      Delete
  2. Those onions. I haven't gotten that book yet but have seen so many good things from it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Panda, that book is amazing. Actually, I am working on a post reviewing about 5-6 of the salads we've tried so far. We are loving that book so much.

      Delete
    2. Oh, also! Dynise at Urban Vegan is doing a giveaway to win a copy!

      Delete
  3. Anonymous8:05 PM

    Happy Anniversary!!!! Those look so good -- I'm going to have to try them! I think they'd be great with some vegan basil pesto, too!

    Happy Vegan MoFo!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah, they would be great with Pesto! unfortunately for me, my otherwise great fella doesn't like pesto much, so I didn't bother. But I think it would be great!

      Delete
  4. Happy 15 plus two! I think you should definitely improvise more in the kitchen if you come up with results like the sandwiches. I think they look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the moral support Andrea! I feel like I'll just make italiany or mexi stuff the whole time, but I'm gonna see what emerges!

      Delete
  5. A themeless mofo?! OMG, Amey, I never thought I'd see it! Your grilled veggie sandwich looks amazing & I'm hoping to take some inspiration from you winging it - I'm a total cookbook grrl too! And Happy Anniversary, you two are awesome and adorable and yay for celebrating love as often as possible!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, can you believe it? What has the world come to?

      Delete
  6. What a great 'sandwich', it looks so fresh and juicy.
    Happy anniversary. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whoo! Join me in Themelessland! It can be scary and exciting and beautiful and disappointing but mostly exciting and beautiful!

    I keep telling myself no more cookbooks, because I so rarely use them, but people everywhere--like, veteran vegans--seem to be legitimately freaking out over Terry's. May have to do it.

    And happy (sort of 2nd) anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous1:49 AM

    Love your veggie "towers" and congratualtions to your 2nd anniversary :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous3:52 AM

    Happy anniversary! I love the grilled veggie sandwiches, they look so tasty. Am looking forward to your MoFo posts again this year :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum & Happy Anniversary! I'm so excited to read all the 'mofo posts this year!

    ReplyDelete
  11. aww happy anniversary! that is one ace looking sammie!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy anniversary. What a gorgeous looking lunch. I keep seeing great things about Salad Samuri. I must order a copy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy anniversary & happy MoFo! Great colors in your improvised sandwiches! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy anniversary! Looks really great!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those stacks look beautiful and delicious. Also, happy anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy Mofo! And happy anniversary!! Good luck with themelessness. That's typically my route every year. Ha! I just can't commit. But this is my first mofo with a theme. We'll see if I can stick to it. Ha! Those sammies look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy anniversary! Looking forward to more of your drawings during MoFo x

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, they really make my day! Thanks for reading my blog! I'm sorry I had to turn on word verification and comment moderation - I was getting so many spam comments!