Friday, October 31, 2014

Jack O'Cuties, Skeleton Cookies & More!

Happy Halloween, Everyone

 jack o'cuties galore

I'm not a crazed Halloween fan like some people, but I certainly can't resist the opportunity for festive food fun. I saw those little cutie tangerine pumpkins all over the place, but I didn't feel like peeling a load of tangerines. (or mandarins? I'm not actually sure)... So, I decided just to draw little Jack O' Lantern faces on my cuties! It was so fun. No two are the same!

I took some to my yoga students, and I saved the other half to take to a Halloween party we're going to tonight. It's nice to provide some Halloween treats that are healthy. Also, this way if I feel like I'm being too tempted by sugary treats at the party, I can always make my way back to the big bowl of Jack O'Cuties. It was fun to let my students pick out their favorite - some people go for happy jack o'faces and some people like the mean, spooky faces!


skeleton yoga cookies!

That said, I made cookies too! I used the Chocolate Roll-out Cookies recipe from Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar. What took me so long to discover this recipe?? They were so delicious! I added a little extra cocoa powder and some chocolate extract for extra cocoa-power-punch. They taste like brownies! 

These cookies are my pride and joy this year, but I can't take credit - they were Mr. VE&T's idea. I have these yoga posture cookie cutters, and every year at Christmas I make Gingerbread Yogis for all my students. In years past, I've made Halloween Skeleton Cookies with my regular "gingerbread man" cookie cutter. But somehow, I never thought of making skeleton yogis! It was a fun icing challenge! 

I brought these (and a few jack o'cuties for the healthy-minded) to my yoga class on the night before Halloween. Needless to say - none of them made it home!


good ol' fashioned skeleton cookies!

While I was at it, I figured I may as well make some proper spooky skeletons and bring them along to the Halloween party tonight. There were a couple that broke, so I took advantage of those "tragedies" to make sure the the cookies were delicious. Check! These cookies are full-sized Gingerbread men, maybe 5 inches high (?), so they are actually pretty big. I like the ones where I left a nose hole better... the ones without noses look a little like Alien Skeleton Cookies - but I guess that's just as well for Halloween!


~~ Last but not least!! ~~

I promised to pick a winner for my "Vegan Casseroles" giveaway today... and with the help of the Random Number Generator, comment #23 was chosen. Congrats to Charj!


9 comments:

  1. O.M.G. LOVE the skeletons!!! A stunning success. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, the yoga skeleton cookies are so much fun! What a great idea, Mr. VE&T! I have to say, though, it would take an artist to get it right with the skeleton profiles and body poses. Well done, Ms. VE&T! I love that you did all different faces for the jack o'lanterns. Super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:31 AM

    I love love love the way your mind works and executes its creativity! Happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So creative and adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous2:51 AM

    Ahhh, I love the cookies AND the tangerines. Both so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those have got to be the cutest little jack o'cuties ever! love all the different faces. And the skeleton yoga cookies are just over the top! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The sceleton yoga cookies are the most awesome thing I have ever seen. More and more people over here celebrate halloween although we don't really have a tradition to do this and even though I think it's weird I just realised how great it is for kids. Since F is obsessed with skeletons right now I am pretty sure these are going to be made soon even though halloween is over. I am just not sure if I have your awesome piping skills.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the skeletons doing yoga - what a cute line up! Next year, I'm totally prettying up my tangerines!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I thought the jack o'cuties were one of the cutest things I had ever seen until I saw those skeleton yogi cookies! So cute!!! We gave away cuties for Halloween as a last-minute addition to our Halloween goodie bags. My husband wanted to make them into jack o'cuties, but there was no time!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, they really make my day! Thanks for reading my blog! I'm sorry I had to turn on word verification and comment moderation - I was getting so many spam comments!