Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Birthday Brinner!


My birthday was a couple of weeks ago, and my mom sent me an email asking what I wanted to do to celebrate... a family dinner, or maybe a family brunch? Well, I love brunch food more than just about anything in the whole world, but that particular weekend, I was busy both mornings. Shucks. Just when I started to feel the possibility of delicious brunchy goodness slipping away from me - I had a stroke of genius: Birthday Brinner!


We already know that Breakfast for Dinner is one of the great privledges of adulthood, and so I guess demanding that the whole entire family have Breakfast for Dinner is one of the great privleges of turning 42. Ha! 

 my contributions!

So, my wonderful family assembled and together we ate pancakes and OJ, and Field Roast breakfast sausages... Some non-vegan items were also eaten, but not by me, and we shall not speak of that.

Here are the goodies I brought along: 
~ A big bowl of delicious stone fruits from the farmers' market. I am just such a nut for stone fruits. Cherries, peaches, nectarines, pluots, I love them all. 

~ A giant quantity of the Garlic Tofus from The Oh She Glows Cookbook. I love this recipe so much. I think it has become my favorite way of preparing tofu. I've reduced the oil a bit, and added a heaping spoon of nutritional yeast... and the whole thing comes together in about 10 minutes. Those little tofus are so damned tasty!

~ Lastly, I also brought a huge batch of the High Brow Hash from The Great Vegan Protein Book (book review coming soon!). I absolutely love this recipe! Since I was already bringing the tofus, and I knew my mom would be making veggie sausages, I actually left the seitan out of this hash, and added in extra veggies instead.


My aunt and her partner are also vegans, but they eat no-salt and no-oil, so they brought along black beans, salsa, avocado and corn tortillas for some special breakfast tacos that were yummy and not salty or oily.


giant bounty of Field Roast breakfast links!

Check this out! My mom made a giant plate of Field Roast breakfast sausages! Whooo HOoo! Happy birthday to me! I love these little sausages, and I especially love having an endlessly huge plate of them on the breakfast-for-dinner table.


foreground: banana pecan pancakes / below: plain puffy pancakes

The main course was pancakes! Of course, my mom is cool and already has a copy of Isa Does It! in her kitchen, so I suggested the Perfect Pillow Pancakes. Just look at how gorgeously these came out... They really were seriously pillowy and puffy!! We made half of them with sliced bananas and pecans mixed in (my favorite!!), and half of them plain (for people who don't know what they're missing).

It was a bit of kitchen chaos cooking up so many pancakes for so many people at the very last minute -- we had all four burners going, with four different pans, and the back door open from something that burned in the oven ... ha ha! Somehow it turned out that I had the most familiarity with pancakes, so I was the one sweatin' bullets and flipping flapjacks like a mad woman. In the end that just added to all the fun of it!


Here's my beautiful birthday brinner plate: Banana-Pecan pancakes, fresh fruit, OJ, veggie hash, tofu cubes, veggie links, and loads of love and appreciation!! Of course, I actually ended up eating more of just about everything, because I was quite overjoyed about this glorious meal. This really was such a perfect way to celebrate.

My actual birthday was kind of a weird, crappy day. Mr VE&T and I were having a weird misunderstanding, and so my heart was all heavy and confused and my energy was just weird. Happily, we more or less resolved it by the end of the day... but it was still pretty much a bust. So, on the day of family brinner, I declared it a Birthday Do-Over! I had a meet up with a friend, a fun walk with Mr VE&T and the dogs, and this wonderful family breakfast-for-dinner. It was a totally satisfying do-over day! Three cheers for the healing power of brinner.



If you don't follow me on FB or Instagram, you may have missed the news about my fun bday present that I got for myself: I went to a proper salon and got my hair dyed blue!! I've wanted blue hair for soooo long, but I had never dyed my hair at all before.  I absolutely love it! I'm also open to any and all "how to take care of colored hair" tips that you crazy, colorful vegans might have for me. 

ps. I still have a few more posts about VidaVeganCon that I will be sharing, but I didn't want the rest of life to pass me by. Keep an eye out for more VVC fun recaps coming down the line. 

20 comments:

  1. Happy Birthmonth. I love you!

    Mr. VE&T

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for birthday and yay for brinner!!
    I finally got to try some of those little Field Roast breakfast sausages when I was in Seattle. They were pretty yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I really like them a lot - especially with a whole breakfast spread. <3 Glad you got to try them!

      Delete
  3. Happy birthday, Amey! I have been reading your blog for years. You are my favorite vegan blogger. You are such a sweet and joyful person. Thank you so much for the yogurt blog. I followed your instructions and am so thrilled with the results. This yogurt is phenomenal. Does it have live cultures do you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Anne, this is the sweetest comment!! <3 Thank you so much. I'm so glad the yogurt worked for you! I just made another double batch this week. Yes, it definitely has live cultures!! My understanding is that the cultures are what makes it take on the thickness of yogurt.... so if the yogurt never thickened, that might mean that the cultures were dead. Enjoy your yogurt!

      Delete
  4. Anonymous5:02 AM

    Happy birthday Amey! It all looks and sounds like such a lovely, fun night! I'm never hungry enough for all the breakfast foods I love at breakfast, so I'm thinking come October I might copy you and demand brinner! Love the hair too, it absolutely suits you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, greatveganexpectations! Yes, I totally know what you mean. Plus, it can feel so heavy to eat all that food first thing in the morning. But later at night? No problemo!

      Delete
    2. Hey, I love your blog! I just checked it out and it's really great. I'm going to add it to my blog roll. <3

      Delete
  5. I love your blue hair! And your celebrations are always the best celebrations. Now I will have to try those pancakes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, definitely try those pancakes - they are so good!

      Delete
  6. Happy birthday! It sounds like you had a wonderful day and lots of amazing food. I love your hair! I used to have my hair every color under the sun :) P.S. A cruelty free blogger I follow swears by Overtone (which is cruelty free and vegan) to keep her hair brightly colored :) http://overtone.co/collections/shop-by-color-blue/products/go-deep-vibrant-blue-weekly-treatment

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. woooo hooo! thanks for the blue hair tip! I just ordered some for myself!! I am a total NOOB at colored hair. I love that you've had so many different colors for your hair. I am a late bloomer. :)

      Delete
    2. Yes, I was going to suggest Overtone as well! It's a lifesaver.

      Delete
  7. Happy birthday Amey! I love your blue hair :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Thank you, Mia! <3

      Delete
  8. You can NEVER go wrong with Brinner! Happy Brinday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Birthday Amey! Yay for Brunch-for-dinner and blue hair! Breakfast for dinner is the best thing ever. I've never even seen the field roast breakfast sausages at a store before! I will have to keep an eye out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous3:33 PM

    everything looks SO good! We call it "upside down dinner" nights when we have our brinners (though I really love your word for it, I may have to "borrow" it!).

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous12:12 PM

    Happy Birthday! LOVE the hair!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, they really make my day! Thanks for reading my blog! I'm sorry I had to turn on word verification and comment moderation - I was getting so many spam comments!