Monday, May 23, 2016

Beany Bacon Bits by Cool Foods ~ a Review

Bean-Based Bacon Bits
avo-bacon-toast in the making

Have you seen these new Hickory Style Veggie Bacon Bits from Cool Foods? They are made of dried pinto beans and bacony seasonings!  I love bacon bits, so when they offered to send me some for review, I was quite enthusiastic. Well, I plowed straight through both baggies they sent me, and have already ordered a few more baggies to keep my pantry stocked. So... I guess you could infer that I really liked them! ha ha.


bacon bits on avocado toast

Recipe: one good piece of toast, lots of yummy avocado, squeeze of fresh lime juice, spoonful of bacon bits = happy times are here at last.


I really love the ingredients list on these bacon bits: "Pinto Beans, Sunflower Oil, Natural Flavors, Sea Salt, Enzymes." So simple! I'm not a super snoot about "pure food" and stuff like that, but I am mindful of the times when I eat more-processed or less-processed foods. I really appreciate that these bacon bits deliver all the joy a bacon bit can deliver, but are also quite straightforward and even virtuous. Also, 4 teaspoons of bacon bits are just 27 calories, which is great.

Plus, they are perfectly crunchy. The package says that the beans are "air-dried," which must be how they get such a great crunchiness out of the beans. The flavor is smoky and delicious, and is more complex than just a bunch of liquid smoke. There is the tiniest bit of bean flavor, but not at all in a bad way. It adds to the overall flavor experience. They are also sugar-free, soy-free, and gluten-free

nom nom nom

Truth be told, I ate most most of these straight out of the bag whenever I wanted a little nibble. But once I discovered how good they were on avocado toast, then I really went nuts and ran out super quickly.


bacony bits on kale salad

These veggie bacon bits are also really great on salads - their smokiness and crunchiness both add a lot! I made a few kale salads with tomato and avocado and then liberally sprinkled on the bacon bits. Such a great combo!! Basically a super easy BLT-inspired salad. I think they'd probably make a pretty good BLT actually. Maybe I'll try that next, if I can stop myself from eating my latest installment all straight out of the bag.

On their website, these 3oz baggies are $3.99 each, which I think is a pretty good deal. I can definitely tell you that I liked these a lot because I was super sad when I ran out of the bags they sent me, and I've already bought 3 more for myself. It's one thing to rave about something that you recieved for review, but it's a whole 'nother thing to go running to Google to replace it when you run out. Ha ha.

Let me know if you try them, and tell me what you think!


i really love drawing animated beans.
they're just so funny

18 comments:

  1. So cool! Isn't it amazing what beans can do?? They can be so many things these days! I like those Beanito chips - this crunchy air dried bean idea kinda reminds me of that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah! beans are totally amazing! I love beanito chips too, and also beanfields chips - have you tried those ones? beans beans beans!

      Delete
  2. OMG, these are my new fave thing!!!! They sent me some to review (only one bag though!), and I'm almost out. Planning a review this week too, but wanted to try some in mac & cheese first. But now I MUST try them on avo-toast because that's genius!! I plan to order more from their site asap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes!! I love them so much!! I'm so glad you love them too!

      Delete
  3. Oh, I'm intrigued! I love trying new vegan takes on bacon, and I've never had one that was pinto based. For salads, I usually reach for coconut bacon, but this looks like a fun way to switch things up. They're sold out on their website right now, but I'll keep an eye on it! Thanks for the review, Amey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do it.... they are so delicious. I can't wait to hear what you think!

      Delete
  4. Hmmmm. I've been offered these bacon beans about four times and haven't responded, but I see after reading your review it was a mistake. I knew it. Maybe it's not too late. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andrea - I'm sure it's not too late. Follow up with them and ask. Honestly, I think they are sooo good!

      Delete
    2. I responded but never heard back. They've sent me new offers since then but not the beans!

      Delete
  5. I will have to keep an eye out for these when I am in the US next year!
    How do they compare to the Wayfare Pig Out bits, which are my favourites?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! Great minds think alike - I also LOVE Pig Out bits!! In fact I have a bag of those in my cupboard too. Honestly, I think I like these more?? They're really very different though, so I think I have room in my life for both of them!

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. I think you would like them!!

      Delete
  7. Wonderful recipe! Thanks for sharing it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooh I like how they are soy free. I wonder if they are gluten free? It's too bad they don't list the ingredients on the website.
    They look tasty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Pinto Beans, Sunflower Oil, Natural Flavors, Sea Salt, Enzymes."

      Delete

I love comments, they really make my day! Thanks for reading my blog! I'm sorry I had to turn on word verification and comment moderation - I was getting so many spam comments!