Monday, July 25, 2016

New York Bagel Date

Last winter, my friend Jake went to New York City for work and when he came back home, he brought a bunch of genuine NYC bagels back home with him. Everyone knows that the bagels from NYC are the best bagels in the world. I heard about this impressive and important bagel stash from Jake's wifey, Alana - and she and I quickly hatched a plan for a bagel date. The only thing is - we were both busy, and by the time we checked in again, I received the grim news that Jake had already eaten all the bagels. You snooze, you lose! ha ha. Fair enough. I like Jake, so I forgave him.


Anyway, they went to NY again - this time for actual fun! - and brought home more bagels. Phew! I knew I had to seize the moment (carpe bagelium!). So, we made plans for a fun breakfast bagel date!


the guests of honor

Step One: procure the amazing bagels. All three of us decided on "everything" bagels, and we also all wanted our bagels to be toasted. Meanwhile, Jake made me an excellent cup of hot coffee - much appreciated! I brought along two tubs of Kite Hill Cream Cheese - one tub of their plain/original flavor, and one tub of their chive flavor. If you haven't tried these yet, I highly recommend them. I actually am planning to do a whole blog post about my love for this vegan cream cheese!


bagels bagels bagels! 


Bagel fixin's and supplements. 

Alana prepared an excellent spread of bagel topping possibilities: sliced tomatoes, sprouted microgreens, fresh dill, red onion, pimiento green olives, and capers. So much yum! How would I decide how to proceed with this one special NYC bagel moment??

She also made one of the world's most yummiest salads ever. I was extremely in love with this salad -- little baby greens, hundreds of cucumbers, and a bounty of chopped fresh herbs, and some kind of super delish vinaigrette dressing with capers in it. I just wanted to eat it alllllll.

I brought strawberries because I cannot have a breakfast-ish party without some yummy fruit.

my final choices

It was very hard to decide what to do with my magical bagel experience. In the end, I put plain cream cheese on one half and topped it with tomatoes, red onion, fresh dill, and micro greens. On the other, I put on some unadulterated chive cream cheese. I'm always torn between the emotional reliability of a simple classic, and the emotional thrill of new things. This way I got them both! Plus, salad. I think I had three servings of that special salad.

difficult bagel decisions


Our breakfast bagel date was so lovely and it was great to catch up with them and their son and their not-so-new dog! We had a nice leisurely bagel feast - and I was filled with the special satisfaction that an excellent bagel provides.

After breakfast we went for a great little walk and then looked for lizards in the garden (we saw two!), looked at the fruit trees in their amazing yard, and just had a nice time together. It was pretty great to spend quality time with them.  Believe it or not, those amazing bagels weren't even the best part of our bagel date after all! 

13 comments:

  1. Are NY bagels usually vegan, or did you get special vegan ones? I am from NY and I would love to know :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi JFloColman - yes!! NY bagels are pretty much always vegan, unless they have cheese on them (obviously). And in NYC most of the places have a really super yummy tofu spread (in lots of flavors). It is a boon for vegans!! Let me know if you eat any and I will be happy for you and jealous for me, ha ha!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. So good! I love carbs forever and ever!

      Delete
  3. Yummy. NYC bagels are definitely the best ones I've ever had. It is very difficult where I live in England to get a decent bagel. We have a new bakery opening soon in my town that sounds good so I have my fingers crossed they might make them. A bagel date is a lovely idea for spending time with friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean - we have acceptable bagels here, but the NYC bagels are in a whole different class. I hope your new bakery brings you bagels!! May it be so!

      Delete
  4. Oooh, bagel date! Yay!! What fun! I've never been to NYC, so I've never had a REAL bagel. :-) Someday! I do loooooove that Kite Hill cream cheese so much. I had some on a gluten-free bagel for breakfast yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bianca! You will LOVE New York City when you get there. So much to see and do and EAT. Ha ha.

      Delete
  5. Those bagels look so good - and that cream cheese! I haven't seen it anywhere near me yet, which is a total bummer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Elizabeth! My heart breaks for you. I wish I could send you some, but it would probably go bad in the mail. I hope you find it soon!

      Delete
  6. Oh NYC bagels. How I miss you! All of the easy to find bagels in the UK are the absolute worst, I think I may need to head into London to find the super special bagels soon after reading this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah New York. I've always wanted to go. And when we were living in Canada it was SO MUCH closer! It's so far away now. We really should have went before moving to California. Ah well.
    Oh and bagels aside, I hear they have simply amazing vegan restaurants. Wow.
    "I'm always torn between the emotional reliability of a simple classic, and the emotional thrill of new things."
    Haha - I'm totally the same way and can really relate to this =)
    I'm so glad you had a fun bagel date!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The bagels in NYC are great, and usually they have vegan cream cheese too <3. What I don't like about bagels in NYC, is that people are always telling you how to eat them. They say you aren't a real New Yorker if you toast them, or if you cut them the wrong way. But what I think is, just eat it however TF you want. It's food. Toast it or don't. Why do you care how I eat a bagel??? So yeah, I moved. haha.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, they really make my day! Thanks for reading my blog! I'm sorry I had to turn on word verification and comment moderation - I was getting so many spam comments!