Sunday, October 15, 2006

Birthday Cake!

Today was my nephew CW's 6th birthday. He is such a sweet and cute little guy, and I am really nuts about him. This year, I was honored to make him his birthday cake! He likes chocolate cake, so that is what he got! For the cake, I used the recipe for the Vegan Chocolate Cake from the Joy of Cooking (I doubled it and it turned out fantastic... although I added 7 T of cocoa instead of 6T). For the frosting, I started with the chocolate buttercream recipe from the new "Vegan Cupcakes..." but I must say, I don't have the same frosting tastes as they do. The frosting was tasting so much like shortening, I thought it was pretty gross. So I loaded in a bunch more cocoa powder and sugar, and it was thick, but tastier. Also, I did the same to the normal "buttercream" recipe for the white and colored frosting. CW is into baseball right now, so I made that the theme.
Here he is, with his buddies, eagerly anticipating the cutting of the cake! Notice the little tongue sticking out in the back. :)

Best of all, everyone enjoyed some vegan cake and didn't even know it!


  1. Anonymous9:00 AM

    Wow! What a cool cake!

  2. Thanks Nikki!
    It was really fun to make!

  3. Oh that cake looks great! Chris does look ready to bite into it in that picture! So cute.

    I'm sorry to hear that about the cupcake book- I'm waiting for mine to arrive on Wednesday, and I don't want to eat a bunch of shortening! Augh!

  4. Hi Bazu!
    Oh, don't worry... the actual cupcake recipes look amazing!!! And anyone can make a frosting that they're satisfied with. I'm just really not a huge frosting person I guess. But Isa and Terry are clearly wild about frosting! I'm sure it's just a case of personal preference.
    :) Amey


I love comments, they really make my day!