Saturday, October 14, 2006

Pancakes + Eggless Frittata

I made this "eggless frittata" for dinner tonight, using a recipe from the "Big Little Vegetarian Cookbook." About 2/3 of the way through, it seemed like it was going to be a total disaster, but it mostly recovered. The ingredients are:
1 1/3 c chickpea flour
1/2 c water
2 chopped tomatoes
1 grated carrot
1 grated zuke
S&P
mix it all together.
The recipe called for only 7 T of water, but that was laughably inadequate. Then it said to cook it on a skillet for 7 minutes and flip it over, which was also ridiculously off-base. Anyhow, this recipe is similar to the torta di ceci that I make from time to time, so I followed that recipe, and heated the oven up to 400 F. I popped the whole skillet in the oven and cooked it for about 50 minutes. It's actually pretty tasty... I had two pieces after all, so it can't be all bad. Someone with more intuitive kitchen skills than me could probably do something even better with this recipe. I would say it is definitely worth playing around with.

This morning I went to the farmer's market, and then came home and made pancakes. Yum!!! I use a veganized version of a recipe from Mollie Katzen's Sunlight Cafe. I like it because you can make the pancake mix ahead of time in big batches and then just pop out some pancakes whenever you want. Also, I like this recipe because it uses whole wheat pastry flour, soy protein powder, and wheat germ... so it feels sorta healthy. Maybe I'll type it up sometime soon to share it. Along with the pancakes, we had some amazing organic strawberries and some banana. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, they really make my day! Thanks for reading my blog! I'm sorry I had to turn on word verification and comment moderation - I was getting so many spam comments!