Friday, January 26, 2007

Vegan Pizza!

Tonight I made some vegan pizza... which I don't do often. It was fun.

I was in a bit of a mood, and when I looked in the book and saw that pizza dough would take about 1.5 hours to rise... I decided to go to Trader Joe's and try their pre-made dough. You just roll it out and make your pizza. I've heard good things about it, and tonight was the night to try it.

For the topping I used a little tomato sauce, then I made some tofu topping. The tofu topping went like this: saute a few sliced garlic cloves with about 1/4 c chopped fresh basil, some red pepper flakes, and about 1/2 tsp dried thyme. Then I pureed that in the food processor with some rice vinegar, lemon juice, salt, and crumbled tofu. YUM!

Then I slowly cooked up some sliced mushrooms and red onions with spinach and beet greens.

All together, it was a really great flavor combo. We both really loved it. I would only change it by adding a little bit more tomato sauce. The biggest problem was that the crust got stuck to my pizza stone. Luckily that was only on part of the pizza. I think I didn't use the pizza stone right - I didn't preheat it, and also I forgot to put cornmeal down on it. Ooops!

Also, check out this this neat "make-a-plate" that my nephew Christopher made and gave to us!! He made a few at our annual holiday craft party, and then - when we got the plates back - he was so sweet, and gave one to each of us. It's my new favorite plate! In case you can't tell, it's a depiction of 4 elves having a snowball fight, with a bird and a rabbit watching. One of the elves is saying "ha ha, gotcha!" It's so cute.

8 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:06 AM

    Yum! I haven't made pizza in quite a while but now you've got me thinking about it. I've never tried the TJ's pizza dough but maybe I'll check it out next time we're there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That plate is so darling. And the pizza ain't half-bad either! Can I whine about how much I miss Trader Joe's now?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE TJ's pizza dough! Your pizza looks mighty fine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Chris,
    The TJ's dough was good - they have whole wheat and normal (refined). I had to get the normal one, for fear of resistance from Musty, but I think the whole wheat one would also be neat to check out!

    Hi Bazu,
    You gotta find yourself a TJ somehwere nearby! I just found out that Whole Foods is planning to build their biggest store ever about 40 minutes from my house, I can't wait to check it out!

    Hi Brooke,
    That dough sure made "homemade" pizza a lot easier! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice job on the vegan pizza!! Looks great! (ooh, I love TJ's!!)

    I had the same problem with my pizza stone recently because I didn't pre-heat it and also I had run out of corn meal! The corn meal makes it perfect. :)

    What an adorable little plate!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum-yum! that pizza with greens looks delightful, not sure if I could get russell to go for it, though.

    I totally know what you mean about being in "a bit of a mood" lol!

    I love that plate. Your nephew must be a character!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The pizza looks great! Awww, that's so sweet your nephew gave you a custom plate! So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous3:38 PM

    I used to love TJ's pizza dough. We would eat it at least once a week. It's so easy. Great topping combination there.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, they really make my day! Thanks for reading my blog! I'm sorry I had to turn on word verification and comment moderation - I was getting so many spam comments!