Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Dinner with Grandpa

Enchiladas! Yum. I made red enchiladas for another lovely Dinner With Grandpa night. I lightly cooked up some garlic, onion, carrots, summer squash, broccoli, and pinto beans, then rolled up my enchiladas. So quick and so delicious and nutritious. The rice is a quick and cheap version of spanish rice: I threw in some onion, some chopped bell pepper, garlic, and some salsa. It turned out yummy!

For dessert, I made an old favorite - a Quick Plum and Almond Cake. I saw it Jacques Pepin make it on TV years ago, and wrote it down as best as I remembered it. I like it because you cook whole plums right into the cake! So pretty. Here's my veganized version of JP's recipe:

1 c flour (I used white whole wheat flour or whole wheat pastry flour, spelt also works well)
1 c slivered almonds (the original recipe calls for raw whole almonds, which I've always used before... it's also great and results in a slightly more dense cake - but I liked the way the slivered almonds resulted in a lighter cake)
1 c sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
2 "eggs" (I used EnerG Egg Replacer)
4 Tbsp Earth Balance
1/4 c soy milk or almond milk
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp white vinegar or apple cider vinegar
1-2 tsp sherry (optional)
6 ripe plums
extra sugar
3 Tbsp apricot jam + 1 Tbsp water

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a springform pan.

Add the flour, sugar, almonds, baking powder & Earth Balance into a food processor. Chop until blended and the almonds have become fine crumbs.

Mix up your egg replacer and add it into the food processor. Then mix together the milk, vanilla, vinegar, and sherry and add the liquid mixture slowly while blending the food processor. The batter should be quite thick.

Pour the batter into the spring form pan and spread it smooth with a rubber spatula.

Now take your plums and carefully remove the pits. Try to do this without breaking the other end of the plum. It looks better. Pour a little extra sugar into a dish. Get the pitted plums a little bit damp with plum juice or water and roll them in the sugar. Then arrange them in the batter, hole-down.

Cook for 45min-1hour until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Mix up the jam and water and brush it on the cake as a glaze. Just so you know, as the cake cools, the cooked plums will sink down, but don't worry, they will taste totally freaking amazing, so it's okay.

And of course, no trip to my grandpa's is complete without a produce extravaganza in his backyard. I saw the raspberries needed to be picked, and 20 minutes later I had a LOT of berries. Some were given to my aunt, some to my friend JJTWH, some were left for my grandpa, and some for us. Also, a big bag of plums - YUM. And a lovely, perfect, delicious King Fig. That fig tree is full of GIGANTIC figs on the verge of being ripe, I can hardly wait.

Oh, Fig, I love you.

12 comments:

  1. Yum, that enchiladas sure looks good - somehow they remind me of baked lasagna, haha! Wow, that tart looks BEAUTIFUL - too bad it's winter here now, so no plums for me :0( or else I'll make that straight away! Don't worry though ... I'm bookmarking this recipe :0)

    Fresh raspberry, plums and figs!!! Yummy, I bet they taste soooo good - nothing taste better than freshly picked produce :0)

    Oh by the way, did you say you are giving me a bag of those berries?! ;)Hehe

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always love seeing the meals that you make for your grandfather and other family members - such delectable dishes, as always.

    Ahh, plums raspberries, and figs = so scrumptious!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:26 AM

    Sounds like a wonderful meal. Funny, I just made a plum and cornmeal cake a few days ago that looks similar to yours, though I've never tried one with almonds. Must give this version a try, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That enchilda fulling sounds soooo good right. It's only 10:49 a.m. here but my tummy's already growling. And that plum cake is so neat-looking...I wish my grandpa had fresh raspberries growing in the backyard. He had strawberries earlier this spring, but no raspberries.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous9:10 AM

    I want to move in with your grandpa if he has all of those beautiful fruits in his backyard.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous10:21 AM

    Oh yum, I love enchiladas. And all of that fruit looks so amazing, I love figs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous12:30 PM

    Hi I am new to your blog and I just wanted to say how much I’m loving it

    ReplyDelete
  8. Grandpa's so lucky to get these meals made with love! yum!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous9:09 AM

    That almond and plum cake looks truly delicious. What I wouldn't give to have my very own fig tree. I just love figs.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous8:31 PM

    I made the plum/almond cake tonight - delicious! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think its so wonderful you are spending time eating with your grandpa!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Now I have a serious craving for enchiladas. And nice job veganizing that plum cake! Bet your grandpa loved every bite...

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, they really make my day! Thanks for reading my blog! I'm sorry I had to turn on word verification and comment moderation - I was getting so many spam comments!