Friday, January 23, 2009

A New Orleans Feast!

You know what's funny? Whenever I get HOME from a place, then I have such a pent up craving for the local food that I get right into the kitchen. There's not a lot of vegan Cajun-Creole food to be had in New Orleans, so I kept hearing about all this great food and not eating it. So, as soon as I was back home in the kitchen, I knew just where to set my sights.

We have a nice little tradition in our family, that whenever a person comes home from a special trip, we have a family photo night. Then the lucky traveler gets to tell us all about their trip, and no one misses out on the stories. If any gifts were brought home, they are handed out, and then we all look at the pictures. We get all cuddled into one room to see the pictures on the computer monitor, and then people start falling asleep! ha.

So tonight I showed my photos from my New Orleans trip and made this delicious feast to celebrate. We had 4 dishes (clockwise from top left): Gluten Sauce Piquant with homemade gluten, savory dinner grits, collard greens, and smothered black-eyed peas. My dad was especially thrilled, because he grew up in the south with black-eyed peas and grits... and doesn't find them often out here in Santa Cruz. The flavors were full and interesting and complimentary - it was a grand affair and we all left the table with full, happy bellies.

These recipes are from Kittee, and are from the recipes she's testing for vegan New Orleans cuisine. If you're crazy to try them out, email her about become a tester.

17 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:15 AM

    This was a seriously delicious dinner! Even Amey's dad, who is skeptical about the vegan thing to put it mildly, was very impressed. He cleaned his plate with compliments to the chef. Good work Aim!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMGZ!! DELICIOUS! I AM EMAILING KITTEE RIGHT NOW!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a scrumptious looking plate! And what a cool family tradition, I need to start something like that with my family: we're all big travelers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:38 AM

    That's such a beautiful tradition! And your food looks great as well (though I guess I have to get over the name, "gluten" as a main ingredient!).
    PS If you're still craving more peppermint chocolate, I took a cue from you and am holding a contest--come on over and enter! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definitely jealous of your feast!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, there's a Kittee copy cat in your comments! It's a Copy Kittee! :)

    Your family photo nights sound like fun, even with all the sleeping :)

    What a yummy dinner to go with all the picture sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. YUM! I love New Orleans, but it always makes me sad that there really isn't a vegan Creole restaurant there...at least not that I know of.

    BTW, I got your cookzine in and it is so darn cute!!! Thanks so much for sending me one. It really brighented my day! I can't wait to dig into those recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. my entire dad's side of the family is cajun french, so i learned all i know about nawleans cooking from them. definitely my favorite type of food!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Blackeyed peas and grits - YUM!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, yum! This looks like a great feast!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely food, lovely photos. Thanks a bunch!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fun tradition after traveling! Especially when a cajun meal accompanies the evening!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi !!!

    I got your book!! wow, it is so great!!! really, great job. i love your printing!! and the drawings are so fab!!! i am happy that you sent it to me.

    lots of love!!

    candi

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yummo! Sounds like the perfect feast!

    ReplyDelete
  15. definitely yes to a meetup! yeah, when i first moved here i never had any luck getting in touch with other santa cruz ppkers, but i really would like to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Agreeing on the amazing little 'zine I received in the mail. Fantastic :) Thank you so so so much! (And thank you for the great idea to give something like it to family so they know what to fix me when I visit.)

    This picture is numalicious all around. Those collards have me mesmerized. Guess I'll have to bribe Kittee or be a tester to see the recipe. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. The only reliable vegan place we go to there is Old Dog New Trick.
    Looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, they really make my day! Thanks for reading my blog! I'm sorry I had to turn on word verification and comment moderation - I was getting so many spam comments!