Saturday, October 24, 2009

Apples & Love Apples

Crazy as it seems, we are still getting pretty good production off our tomato plants. It is slowing down, but it feels a little seasonally schizophrenic to pick tomatoes and apples at the same time. The apples are still coming in at a gentle enough pace that I can keep up with them by enjoying a few a day - sliced up plain, sliced up with peanut butter, or tossed in with a morning smoothie. But I know soon enough I'll desperately canning up applesauce and apple pie filling and so on... once they start really coming in hot and heavy.


For now, it's still the tomatoes that are keeping me on task. Recently I picked a whole LOT of these little babies and slow roasted them with a tiny bit of olive oil and a few cloves of garlic. Don't they look beautiful all spread out on the baking sheet?


Then I took the by-product, which was thick and juicy and sweet and amazing-smelling, and pureed it all up in the Vita-Mix, along with a small pinch of salt. With all those tomatoes, I got two jars of super crazy good tomato sauce. Not sure how I'll put it to use, but I'm sure inspiration will strike, in the darkness of winter... when the spirit calls out for anything reminiscent of summer.

5 comments:

  1. Simply lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm speechless with envy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Simple food is the best food! I bet that sauce is just too amazing for words. I really am in the mood for a big bowl of spaghetti now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. mmm! isn't it awesome when all you have to do is add a little salt to something and it tastes amazing?? your tomato sauce sure does look good. you should call it love apple sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks good! yummy!
    Debra @ Vegan Family Style
    ps don't forget about the cookbook giveaway on my blog

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, they really make my day! Thanks for reading my blog! I'm sorry I had to turn on word verification and comment moderation - I was getting so many spam comments!