Monday, October 18, 2010

Autumn's Seasonal Treats

I love pumpkin as much as the next baking-frenzied vegan... but I feel like pumpkin's been getting a lot of press, and some of Early Autumn's other amazing offerings have been a bit neglected in the public eye. Everyone's all "pumpkin this," and "pumpkin that," and I don't want my other autumny friends to feel overshadowed. So, I bring you some more seasonal delights, less celebrated, but just as yummy.

First of all ... quince! What will I do with all these fragrant and lumpy lovlies? Still figuring that out... sweet or savory? jam? quince paste? savories? persian dishes? only time will tell!

Tomatoes, tomatoes, tomatoes. They just keep coming. Canning, eating, salads, sauces, pizzas...

More tomatoes, even after all that canning! It's just crazy!

And APPLES! Here at the House of Good Repute, our apple tree has officially moved into full-fledged production. Just yesterday I picked about 4 or 5 huge buckets of apples, and have hardly made a dent as far as the tree is concerned. So far I've got a bunch of apples drying in the oven, and I don't know what's next. So much abundance, so little time!

And finally, raw peanuts! One of my favorite fall treats. Ima make me some boil' peanuts! Mmmmmmmmmmm.

6 comments:

  1. if you are still recruiting soldiers for operation: quince, i am still game!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just let me know when the peanut boiling party is!!!

    I saw some quinces at Berkeley Bowl the other day and was intrigued, but passed them by because I had no idea what I would do with them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're right..it is all pumpkin talk lately with everyone. I never ate quince before..makes me intrigued to see what they taste like. I'll check my local market to see if they have them next time I am there : ]

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ummm, quince... that's my Grandma's favorite fruit! But what DO you do with it? And I'm so jealous of your tomato stock, in Berlin they've already put out the "winter tomatoes." Sad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Quince! How awesome! It's my favourite fruit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous2:23 PM

    I have never had quince even though I used to live on the corner of a street by the same name!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, they really make my day! Thanks for reading my blog! I'm sorry I had to turn on word verification and comment moderation - I was getting so many spam comments!