Monday, June 06, 2011

Persian Puff Pastry Cookies

These are the Yazdi Turnover Pastry with Cardamom (aka Sanbuseh) cookies from Silk Road Cooking. I made them a little while back and loved them! I think this is maybe only the second time I've ever bought/used puff pastry, since it's not exactly health food. But how cool that it's so easy to find vegan puff pastry at the supermarket! Don't they look beautiful and puffy?!

These cookies are stuffed with the most amazing filling EVER. I think I will have to make the filling and just eat it on its own. It's a simple but alluring combo of almonds, sugar, cardamom and rose water... somehow those few ingredients combine into a glorious hallelujah moment of tastiness. Once baked, the cookies are rolled (gently, now!) in powdered sugar and sprinkled with ground pistachios. Now I'm all jazzed up to find more excuses to make these again... they're that good!

10 comments:

  1. those look amazing!!! and the filling sounds crazy awesome. i just might have to rush out and get some rose water today because i have to try these. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, YUMMMMM. DO WANT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gabrielle9:49 AM

    Oh Yum! I was just fondly remembering our Iraqi feast and now you post these beautiful little things. I wish I could get puff pastry here, or had the energy to make it myself! One day, when my kitchen isn't a closet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is the filling really made from almonds? I thought the recipe in the book says it's also made from pistachios?
    Do you think I could add rose extract instead of rosewater - or would this be too dominant?

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds amazing! Almonds on the inside and pistachios on the outside...mmm...I really haven't played much with cardomom, this would be a good excuse ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummmo! I'm down for just eating the filling.. I love cardamom..ummmm

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yum! I've seen those at a No Rooz party before... but yours look better because they're vegan!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My goodness - get out of town! They look so puffy and delectable!

    Vegetarian Diet

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gauri Radha गौरी राधा1:41 PM

    These look great!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look really marvelous. I've had a copy of that cookbook for several years and have made too few recipes from it. I love the kinds of culinary anthropology she includes along with the amazing photographs and wonderful recipes.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, they really make my day! Thanks for reading my blog! I'm sorry I had to turn on word verification and comment moderation - I was getting so many spam comments!