Friday, October 26, 2012

MoFo 26: Grilled Cheese on Totally Vegan Bread


When I posted my review of Vegan Sandwiches Save The Day, tons of people said that grilled cheese sandwiches were there favorites... But I was especially touched by just how many people shared childhood memories of eating grilled cheese sandwiches with their parents. I also definitely remember how special (and tasty!) it was when my mom would make me a grilled cheese sandwich. After reading all those comments, I pretty much couldn't stop thinking about having a grilled cheese sandwich!


These days, everyone is talking about the new book "Artisan Vegan Cheese" (and I have a copy myself, waiting to be explored)... but for last night, I turned to my trusty copy of Vegan Diner, by Julie Hasson. It's one of my favorite cookbooks, and I love the two cheese recipes in it. I couldn't decide which one I wanted to make, so I made a mini half-batch of each. On the left is the glorious Great Smoky Mountain Cheese, and on the right is the Garlic Dill Cheese. Don't they look cute, side by side, in their little vintage pyrex dishes? For the sandwiches, we used the Great Smoky Mountain Cheese, with some slices of tomatoes from the garden, and they were Just Perfect!!!


As for the bread, we used some of the Veganic Lentil Grain bread from One Degree. They sent me FOUR loaves to try out! This is like a bread addict's dream come true. 

Many years ago, I had a vegan friend who found out that most farmers use animal products for fertilizer. Once she realized that, she figured it was just too hard to be a perfect vegan, and went back to eating animal products. Sigh! (disclaimer: she was a really great person otherwise) Anyhow, she was the first person to ever tell me about the idea of "veganic" : which is organic farming that is also All Vegan - no animal fertilizers or products even in the growing of the food. It's such a cool idea. Obviously, not much food is grown this way (even as a home gardener, it can be a challenge) - so when I heard about this veganic bread, I was really stoked to try it out. All the ingredients can be traced back to their source, you can learn about the farms where the ingredients were grown. On their website, they have really neat profiles of all their farmers. I LOVE this degree of accountability so much.

All four flavors of bread are hearty and wholesome, and full of whole grain goodness. Honestly, I thought the bread was a little dry to be enjoyed all on its own (it's possible that this was a problem of a shipping delay?) - but for all things toasted and toasty, this bread is really great. And, because of the totally excellent and 1 million percent veganness of this bread, I will definitely get it again!!!

 No cows were harmed in the making of these grilled cheese sandwiches!






24 comments:

  1. So much to love about this post! I'm crazy about vintage Pyrex, especially super colorful containers like yours. I always keep my eyes open for them at thrift stores. I haven't tried the dill cheese from VD, but it looks and sounds tasty. I need to get on that!

    Second, that's too bad about your friend. It reminds me of what Colleen Patrick Goudreau says - Don't do nothing because you can't do everything. Veganism isn't about perfection, it's about reducing suffering. I know how your friend felt, though, because before I went vegan I was so overwhelmed by how I was going to find all vegan cleaners and household products and make-up that I put off going vegan for a while. It seems so silly to me now, because it would be better to be vegan except for that than to keep using obvious animal products. Looking back at it now, I can see that it doesn't make much sense to not go vegan because I MIGHT accidentally use a product that hurts animals and instead continue a lifestyle that will DEFINITELY hurt animals.

    Finally, I love that picture of you with the cow while she enjoys her flower and you enjoy a sandwich. Super sweet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cadry! Yes, I really, really recommend these two cheese recipes. They are super simple to whip up, and both taste really great.

      Delete
  2. Oh, I love those two cheeses...and always end up making both because I can't decide which I want. Luckily, they are so easy to make!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! right??!! Glad to know you are a fellow fan. :)

      Delete
  3. I love the idea of veganic farming and that bread looks great. I love that great smoky mountain cheese from Vegan Diner too, it's definitely my favourite grilled cheese filling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so great on the grilled cheesies, because it's so spreadable and soft, and so full of flavor!

      Delete
  4. I am blown away by veganic bread! I hope every gluten eating vegan on the continent buys this and thinks it's yummy. It loooks so good, especially grilled up with Julie's num cheese.

    xo
    kittee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so too kitteebubs. I am going to track it down and buy it from now on. It is SUCH a great idea.

      Delete
  5. hooray for vegan grilled cheese! that bread sounds AMAZING! i have been doing some thinking about trying veganism. i might have to replace my bread with this! any little thing helps, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey LIttleMonster - every little thing *definitely* helps! :)

      Delete
  6. We used to make all our own compost so our garden would be totally vegan. In Seattle, zoo poo is made with duh, zoo animal poop. That still bothers me but it seems a little better than farm animal poop. Anyway what I really want to say is you got to me with the grilled cheese and tomato sandwich. I used to practically live on those. :) The bread and cheese look really good and I'll bet they toasted up into a perfect sandwich!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember hearing about zoo poo back when I lived in Seattle! I wasn't much of a gardener then. I tried making my own compost, but it didn't really work out. Also - love live tomatoes with grilled cheese!!! :)

      Delete
  7. Ha ha ha, grilled cheese ftw. :) Vegan Diner is one of those awesome cookbooks that I haven't bought for some bizarre reason, even though I've wanted it for ages! I'm a sucker for Daiya on a grilled cheese, sans tomatoes - but with plenty of ketchup. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Allysia, Vegan Diner is one of my all time favorites. I really love all the recipes that I've ever made from it. Plus, I love the look of the book, the usability, the feel, the appeal... it's a joy to look at AND to eat from!

      Delete
  8. Oh your friend's logic doesn't sound logical at all! I can't imagine quitting on veganism because of one thing that is pretty much out of my control :( Oh well, we all do what we can!

    And wow, this brand of bread sounds fantastic! And your grilled cheese looks delish, they were a childhood fave of mine, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it seems that so many of us have childhood loves of grilled cheesies.

      Delete
  9. I love your cow drawing, it's really good. I'm distracted from your blog post by its awesomeness, but I do want grilled cheese and bread now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much SarahByng! I love cows so much. It was because of a special cow friend that I went vegetarian... way back when I was only 14 years old! Doing this drawing made me think of him.

      Delete
  10. I never thought about the animal fertilizer thing--though I really don't think anyone can be a "perfect vegan" (or a perfect anything). Still, I admire her diligence and her bringing up the issue. I have to look up these breads. They look phenomenal and grainy--just the way I like 'em

    I do love my grilled vegan cheese sandwiches – total comfort food. Ironically, I didn't grow up with the grilled cheese 'wich, but rather with the open-faced, broiled cheese 'wich. That's just what my mama made :)

    Amey, I so enjoy your cartoons. They are such a delight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Open-faced broiled cheese 'wich also sounds amazing! In fact, today, some of the leftover cheese fell on my non-stick panino press and got all crispy on one side. It was super yummy.

      Thanks so much for the cartoon love!!! :)

      Delete
  11. Those breads sound amazing! And the smoky mountain cheese will always be my favourite for grilled cheese sandwiches.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like the ex-vegan was looking for an excuse to leave the vegan world. Manaloh Blanik doesn't make vegan shoes, maybe I should go back to eating dead flesh. Yikes.
    Grilled cheez and tomoatoes remind me of hanging out with friends, drinking lots of coffee at all night diners in NY. Fond memories. Thank you, Amey. That bread and cheez looks great. I'm gonna get that book.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Today's drawing stole my heart. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ooooh, I gotta try that bread!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, they really make my day! Thanks for reading my blog! I'm sorry I had to turn on word verification and comment moderation - I was getting so many spam comments!