Friday, January 25, 2013

I Love Bacony Chickpeas



You know how sometimes you get a new cookbook and right away one of the recipes just catches your eye?? As soon as I made my first flip-through of "Vegan Sandwiches Save the Day," I just knew I was going to be making the Peanut Butter Banana Bacon Sandwich. It sounded fun and new and tasty. And guess what? It was all of those things! I finally got around to making it, and it was a really fun dinner... served alongside a giant mound of sauteed collards (seemed appropriate!). Plus, I got to use my panino press, which always feels fun and special. 



I'd heard good things about these Bacony Chickpeas from other bloggers, so I knew ahead of time that I should probably just go ahead and make a double batch right then and there. I'm so glad I did! They are super yums. I've been nibbling on them straight out of the fridge... and also tossing them on green salads - where they provide both protein and a smokey richness to the salad. 


I've also been adding them to collard greens for an easy lunchtime meal. Seriously, this is such an amazing meal. Basically I take a huge mound of collards (all washed and sliced up), and steam-saute them in a pan with some broth or water. Once they're steamed, I throw in a little drop or two of liquid smoke, a little bit of nooch, a teaspoon or so of onion powder, and a big scoop of bacony chickpeas. Stir it all up, until the chickpeas are warmed through, and dig in. 

This is me, sitting outside in the winter sun, enjoying my collards & bacony chickpeas. 

12 comments:

  1. that looks so interesting and different! i would love to try it

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you use this one, Amey?
    http://www.onegreenplanet.org/vegan-food/recipe-smoky-chickpea-and-watercress-salad-with-mango-and-avocado/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=recipe-smoky-chickpea-and-watercress-salad-with-mango-and-avocado

    xo
    kittee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. no! I used Celine's recipe (the one I linked to), but I'll give this one a try too, if you recommend it. They were great to have around! :)

      Delete
  3. The giant bowl of collards looks so good! If you're a fan of vegan worcestershire sauce, try adding a splash of it...so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. great idea, I never would have thought of that!! :)

      Delete
  4. Yay! Aren't they the best? They're so good in salads too cobb-style! But honestly, I have the hardest time staying away from just grabbing handfuls of them in the refrigerator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oooh, good idea, Cadry! Way easier than making up a batch of tempeh bacon too.

      Delete
  5. Nice! I love your idea to combine the chickpeas with sauteed greens. Sounds delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh man...I indeed love those bacony chickpeas. I haven't made them in a while! Which is obviously a problem. Actually I don't think I've eaten them outside the context of that broccotato soup!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wait! what broccotato soup??? I must know! that sounds great!

      Delete
  7. These sound delish. I am scooting over to Celine's place right now :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. katiejayne12:27 PM

    These are so great! I wanted to make them when I got the book, but then I forgot. Thanks to your post I remembered and made them last night to add to my salad lunch today at work. Yum!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, they really make my day! Thanks for reading my blog! I'm sorry I had to turn on word verification and comment moderation - I was getting so many spam comments!