Monday, January 28, 2013

Product Review: Superfood Oat Cereal


Back in college, I was a mopey/impassioned art student, and on nights when I would get caught up in a creative frenzy, I would often end up sleeping in the painting studio if it seemed too late to ride my bike home. For breakfast, I kept instant oatmeal packets on hand, and would prepare them with hot water from the tap. The oatmeal was invariably thick and pasty, but I'd eat it anyway. As a result, I have sort of mixed memories about instant oatmeal: a little bit of nostalgia, mixed with a dose of reality.

But, when the people at Vigilant Eats contacted me about trying out their new Organic Superfood Oat Cereal, I jumped at the chance to rediscover my old favorite breakfast.

I wasn't sure what to expect... but this product really impressed me! In fact, after one bite, I actually exclaimed: "Wow!" Gone was the gluey paste of my college days. This oatmeal was thick, but pleasantly so. Also - it was really packed with goji berries and cocoa nibs - which was really awesome. You know how sometimes you get a chocolate chip cookie and it has 2 measly chocolate chips in the whole cookie? Well, when this stuff says it contains goji berries and cocoa nibs, it's not a lie. The goji berries were fresh and bright and plump, and the cocoa nibs were a super delicious addition. There's a generous hit of cinnamon, and overall the cereal was sweet, but not at all in an overbearing way.

Here are some facts about Superfood:
~ gluten free, non-GMO, vegan, organic (yeah!)
~ sweetened entirely with low-glycemic index foods: palm nectar, yacon, goji, and maple powder
~ 300 calories, 11 gr. protein, 8 gr. fiber, 6 gr. sugar

You can prepare the cereal with hot or cold water (or non-dairy milk), so that makes it especially versatile. Also, you just add as much liquid as you like, so you can get it just the way you like it. It comes with a really cool little spoon, that you open up and snap into position. Even though I ate mine in a little bowl (instead of the paper cup), I did use their little spoon and I really liked it. It was easy to hold and comfortable to eat with.

In general, 300 calories is a bit more than I usually eat for breakfast, but this is definitely a product I will keep on hand for travel, for airplane breakfasts, for camping, or even for days when I want a quick and hearty breakfast on the go. I was really pleasantly surprised by Superfood. It was filling and yummy and kept me going all morning, even through a 2 hour yoga class! A far cry from the below-average instant oatmeal of my college days, to be sure.

Bonus:
If you want to try some for yourself, Vigilant Eats is offering a discount to VE&T readers:
use the discount code amey10
and you'll save 10% on a box of Superfoods, and you'll get free shipping!



4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your review. I'm at work 13-14 hours at a time, sometimes more and am always looking for non-perishable stuff to keep on hand. This looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm i love oatmeal! this looks really good and great for work! i like the oatmeal packets but i never have a cup or bowl at work to put in it

    ReplyDelete
  3. It may be me (or my computer) but I can't find the link to the website where I could use this generous coupon. Thanks for sharing this - if I can link to it this is one coupon I think I'll actually take advantage of!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh noes! What a dummy! I fixed it in the original post, but also, here's a link:
      http://www.vigilant-eats.com/

      I hope you like them. I think they are super tasty!

      Delete

I love comments, they really make my day! Thanks for reading my blog! I'm sorry I had to turn on word verification and comment moderation - I was getting so many spam comments!