Saturday, February 09, 2013

Coffee Time: My New French Press!

still stewin'
For Christmas, Mr. Vegan Eats & Treats got me an umbrella, even though I already had two, and I usually just end up wearing a raincoat anyway. He was very delighted with that idea, and a bit disappointed when he realized it wasn't such a winner gift after all (it's the thought that counts though!) However, he definitely hit the ball out of the park with his other gift for me: a French Press Coffee Maker! He got us a "4 cup" model from Bodum, which actually makes two big mugs of coffee. It's just perfect.

the morning line up:
including my special dauschund in leiderhosen mug that I bought in Munich last year

For years now, we've been gimping along with a Mr. Coffee machine - making bitter, weird coffee, and having to make whole pots at a time (and then invariably pouring out the leftovers). It was unsatisfactory and wasteful. When I lived in Italy, we always used a French Press, and I had fond memories. So right away, I was in love with my new pal. Mr. VE&T calls it "The French Impression," and says things like "I am going to go impress the French," and things like that. He is a nut job.

Though I usually drink decaf, I've just in the last year or so re-discovered the joys of a good caffeine blast in the morning. I love it! I'm a bit of a slow starter and a little cuppa get-up-and-go feels good. For the rest of the day, I limit myself to one or two more cups of decaf though. I don't want to get too crazy.

And, while we're on the subject, I've also become quite smitten with Wildwood brand soymilk creamer. It may be uncool, but I like a lot of milk in my coffee. I find that a little bit of creamer goes as far as a lot of soy milk or almond milk... which means I don't have to cool off my coffee so much by dumping in so much cold milk. Plus, I really like the flavor of the creamer. It's yums.

I am grooving on my coffee.

16 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:44 AM

    Congratulations on entering the wonderful world of Bodum. I've been loving my French Press for a few years now. There's something about the ritual of warming the press, grinding the coffee, doing some Yoga while it brews, that gives a lovey soft start to the day.

    Your blog is a delightful read for any time of day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anony! Yes, I agree. I very much love the ritual of the coffee making with the french press... it's all so peaceful and pleasant.

      Delete
  2. Glad you're loving your French press. I wouldn't want to be without mine. And Wildwood creamer is a must-have staple at my house. No other vegan creamer tastes as good to me as Wildwood. We use it in our coffee and our chai.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes! I agree... no other creamer is as good. Plus, I noticed that the Silk creamer doesn't even use organic soy beans?! So, it's Wildwood for us!

      Delete
  3. I lovvvvve french press coffee, probably just because it makes me feel fancy. And makes weekends that much nice. But drip coffee is kinda sad. I usually use regular soy or almond milk in my coffee but some creamer might be nice, if I can remember to pick it up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oooh this looks heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
  5. French presses are pretty much the best thing ever if you like coffee that's beautiful and flavorful, which I assume everyone does. I like milk in coffee too (usually milk and not cream, maybe I'm weird that way), but don't come near my coffee with sweetener. Also your coffee groove looks a lot mellower than mine, mine is more in the style of "bouncing off walls", ha ha. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha! yes, my coffee groove is definitely mellow. I don't know what it would take to make me bounce off the walls... I am just so constitutionally mellow.

      Delete
  6. I grew up with French Press coffee in Australia and really struggle with the horrificness of drip coffee here in North America. I was given I think the exact same Bodum for Christmas myself, and all is well in my world once more! Hurrah!

    P.S. I love putting a little cardamom or cinnamon in with the coffee grounds to brew :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. french press xmas twins!! the spices in the coffee sound so fun and elegant. What a cool idea!

      Delete
  7. That creamer is the best! I think it may be the same one that TJ's sells, because I know they both taste a lot better than Silk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah, I was also wondering if this is the same one that they have at TJs! I think it might be.

      Delete
  8. Anonymous8:52 PM

    French presses are great! I used one every day when I drank coffee, but even now that I find it useful when a recipe calls for a small amount of brewed coffee.

    Have you tried the MimicCreme creamer? It looks tasty though I wonder if the nut milks separate from the coffee.

    :) jen e.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jen! I was just reflecting yesterday about our latte walks around the salt fields... What's your beverage of choice these days? I haven't tried the MimicCreme one yet. I bought a carton of SoDelicious Coconut creamer and we really didn't like it. So... as long as we have one we like, I may as well stick with it.

      Delete
  9. We love our java the way we love it. I actually use an Italian caffetierra (sic). There's something so satisfying, though, about pressing your own.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My husband really likes his French Press.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, they really make my day! Thanks for reading my blog! I'm sorry I had to turn on word verification and comment moderation - I was getting so many spam comments!