Monday, July 01, 2013

Mini Fruit Tarts

 Little beauties!

For at least 10 years now, I've been teaching a volunteer yoga class at the elementary school near my house. It's a free class for teachers and staff at the school, on Thursday afternoons. Over the years, we've developed a few little traditions... including one for the last week of school. On our last session of the year, I always bring treats for the class, and they always give me a very sweet card and a special giftie of some sort. It's really nice.

Usually I make cookies, but this year it was extra summery out, and I felt like making something a bit more special and festive. So, inspired by all the beautiful berries at the farmers market, I decided to make tiny fruit tarts! I used the Shortbread Crust recipe from Vegan Pie In The Sky and made some little mini tart cups using my mini-muffin pan. This crust recipe was delicious and easy. I'll definitely use it again.

After the mini pastry cups had cooled, I filled them with some coconut pudding (from a mix - shhh!), and then topped them with berries. It was fun putting so much love and care into arranging each little berry in just the right spot. 



When I was at the market, I was about to buy red raspberries - because they are so beautiful - but the gal at the farm stand convinced me to try these golden raspberries instead. What they lacked in ruby splendor they more than made up for in flavor.* They had a phenomenal burst of raspberry goodness! These mini-tarts were quite easy to put together and were pretty and special and delicious... a perfect end-of-the-year treat for my students who I love so much.

*of course, if you wanted a super celebratory treat for the 4th of July, you could use red raspberries! 

9 comments:

  1. So cute! I love fruit tarts. They are as much fun to eat as to make :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, so adorbs! For a minute I thought the golden raspberry was hjortron berry (cloudberry), which us Swedes like to eat over vanilla ice cream. I want a yoga teacher like you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha ha - I actually bake for my classes pretty often. When I was testing king cake recipes for kittee ( a couple years ago), I was practically bringing a king cake to every class! ha ha. It turns out that a person can only eat so much king cake. So sad.

      Delete
  3. Gorgeous! I might make mini tarts of some kind for the Brighton PPK potluck next weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautifully arranged little jewels. Almost too pretty to eat. Almost.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Too cute! and so summery! Your yoga class is very lucky. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great way to celebrate the end of a school year. These mini fruit tarts are gorgeous....and very cute too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. these look so cute and delicious! i have never tried yellow raspberries but i really want to now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LM, they are just amazing!! They have such a beautiful flavor!

      Delete

I love comments, they really make my day! Thanks for reading my blog! I'm sorry I had to turn on word verification and comment moderation - I was getting so many spam comments!