Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Yoga Cookies

As you may recall, back in July I took over ownership at the yoga studio where I teach (along with two friends/partners). At the end of September, we had a weekend of festivities to celebrate our new ownership as well as the many years of loving stewardship that came before us. We had free classes, an evening of kirtan, and an official ceremony followed by a little party!


Of course we wanted to have some treats for our guests to enjoy - so we had tea and nuts and fruits... and cookies!

I knew just which cookies to make: Sugar Yogis! I made a double batch of sugar cookies and used my special yoga-pose cookie cutters. These cookie cutters weren't cheap, but I love them so much. Usually I made a ton of gingerbread yogis at Christmas time for all my students... but I'd never used them for sugar cookies before. My go-to recipe for sugar cookies comes straight out of the Joy of Cooking, believe it or not. I just use Earth Balance for the butter and EnerG for the egg. It's super easy to veganize, and the results are fantastic.

the gluten-free yogis

I also wanted to make a batch of gluten-free cookies, because I didn't want anyone to feel left out from the Sugar Yogi fun. So, I turned to a recipe I've been eyeing for a while, but I'd never actually tried: Allyson Kramer's gluten-free Simple Rolled Sugar Cookies. I read the comments (I always do before trying a recipe) and saw that one person loved them (good sign!) and another person loved them, but thought there was a tad bit too much vinegar. So, using that advice, I reduced the vinegar by half.

The dough was quite delicate, and a little hard to work with, but I persevered, and the cookies were GREAT. I thought gluten free sugar cookies would be a tough task, but these cookies were totally enjoyable and delicious... not just for the gf-ers amongst us. I was super impressed, and I would definitely recommend this recipe. The only suggestion I'd have is to stick with cookie cutter shapes that are forgiving (no long giraffe necks or whatever), and keep the dough cold.

Me "meditating" on other cookie cutter ideas


33 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:12 PM

    Those are some super cute yogis. Thanks for recommending the gluten-free sugar cookie recipe and the vinegar tip, it's nice to know it was a success. I'll have to bookmark it for my next gluten-free baking attempt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes! I am super happy to know about this recipe for future xgfx baking adventures... just think of all the holiday fun that awaits us!

      Delete
  2. love the cookies and LOVE the drawing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cookies are fantastic! Plus I love the kitty in your picture. Congratulations on buying your studio too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Imogen! My cat Yummers actually does do yoga with me. He LOVES our yoga time, and sometimes when I don't want to practice, he is the one who gets me on my mat... because he meows and tries to lure me into the yoga room with him. It is so cute.

      Delete
  4. Cutest cookies ever! You are too cute.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The cookies are so super cute! What a great way to celebrate the new ownership. I can't wait to hear more about the yoga studio and how it's doing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous9:37 PM

    These are so cute! I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are the coolest cookies I have ever seen! The savasana pose cookie cracks me up - so chill :)

    I wish I lived in your neighborhood so you could be my yoga teacher!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha ha, I agree, the Savasana cookie is definitely my favorite too!

      Delete
  8. Firstly congrats on the yoga studio!! Agreed with all the other readers, the bestest cookies ever, and I am not even a yogi.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous7:11 PM

    These are so awesome! And it's good to see you're still here. After a long hiatus (remember me from Eat Air?). I'm finally back to blogging again - veganscratch.com. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CHRIS!!!!! Welcome back to the blogosphere!!! Of course I remember you!! What fun! I miss so many of my old timey blogger friends from back in the day... and it is so great to have you back on the scene. :)

      Delete
  10. Marianne10:30 PM

    These cookies are so cute, I can't stand it! Who knew such a thing existed? And that was very thoughtful of you to include a batch of gluten-free cookies, 'cause you know how good it feels those times when someone thinks to make a vegan option! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, Marianne! That's exactly right. I am always so delighted and grateful if someone has made the effort to have vegan treats on hand ... and I know how it is to feel left out. :) Another example of veganism building compassion. :)

      Delete
  11. Ha, so cute, Amey!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Elizabeth12:56 PM

    Soooo cute, but yet Soooo unhealthy, You can’t put vegan junk food in your body and think it won't effect you.people
    It is bad enough you eat those cookies, but giving them you your students who you are trying to help, shows me I would not want you for my yogi teacher.
    PS I teach yogi on the east coast

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah, I thought of that Elizabeth. We had loads of organic fruits and nuts and some no-sugar pumpkin cookies and tea and such also on hand for healthy celebratory treats. Personally I am of the opinion that a sweet treat on a special occasion is a-okay, but I respect people who feel otherwise. That's why we had lots of choices. Even if folks chose not to eat one, they are fun to look at. No need to be rude, now. :)

      Delete
  13. These are so adorable!! Love them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just read some yuck stuff on the internet and needed something happy. I thought, "please let there be something new from Amey!" It did the trick! Ignore the cookies-are-bad haters. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. That was so thoughtful of you to take the time to make and decorate cookies for everyone, including making GF cookies too. The cookies are adorable, and I'm sure that everyone loved them. Congratulations on the opening of the studio! You should be really proud!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. These are adorable! :) What a great idea to make little yoga cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  17. oh my gosh these are freakin adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Those are the best cookie cutters ever. So perfect! I would love to have you as my yoga teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love those cookies! Congrats on a new business and a successful event!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Is it possible to fall in love with a cookie? these are so adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Glad they were a sucess, they look amazing! I made a batch of GF gignerbread cookies for my long-suffering partner, using CIYCJ they were a little dryer (though delicious) than the wheat version, but more milk would sort that out.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, they really make my day! Thanks for reading my blog! I'm sorry I had to turn on word verification and comment moderation - I was getting so many spam comments!