Wednesday, February 19, 2014

A Surprise Party!!!


Last week I threw my very first surprise party! Have you ever thrown a surprise party? You get to be all sneaky and schemey and it's really fun. Our very close family friend turned fifty in December, but because he lives in Italy, we all missed it. But he's here now, and we decided to surprise him with a belated celebration. We got pretty much everyone in on it - and had everyone arrive 30 minutes before he did and park way down the street. He thought that he and another friend were just coming over for dinner, but when they walked in, everyone jumped out and surprised him! It was great fun.


The party was a potluck and people brought some really amazing and delicious food. It was quite a glorious spread! Our guest of honor really loves Mexican food, so I wanted to make something Mexi that was also not too laborious. I made a batch of the Polenta Rancheros from Vegan Brunch, and it was a huge hit. Also, the whole thing comes together quite quickly and makes ton.

I also made a big bowl of hummus and a big bowl of guacamole - party classics! For the guacamole, I made a double batch of "The Only Guacamole I Ever Make," from Viva Vegan, and the people were totally freaking on it. Truly, that giant bowl of green goodness (4 avocados!) was decimated long before the evening was over. Long live guacamole!

My delicious dinner: Mom's Farro & Chickpea Salad, some roasted winter squash, crudite and hummus, New Potato & Green Bean Salad, fresh spring rolls, Walnut bread from Tartine (swoon!), and Polenta Rancheros with guac in the middle. Boy, this was a totally amazing dinner. I wish I could eat like this all the time!

ps. I highly recommend throwing a surprise party. Our pal was indeed totally surprised and it was wonderful to celebrate him and his birthday. Surprises can be pretty fun!

9 comments:

  1. I still havent made that polenta rancheros... I dunno what's wrong with me!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One day I will come to one of your epic potlucks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a lovely spread of food :) Your friend is very lucky to have such an awesome surprise party thrown for him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yum, everything looks so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous11:44 AM

    Sounds like fun! Though surprise parties are not for everyone - I would be horrified if someone threw one for me, as I hate having the spotlight/focus on me :)

    Oh, your guac reminded me - that was a good tip a few posts ago to check out different avocado varieties like the Gwen! That sure got me out of my Hass rut :)

    jen e.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are such a fantastic friend! All of the food looks awesome and I am a huge friend of that guacamole, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous10:25 AM

    The food looked amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Eeeek a surprise party!! I've never thrown or been to one but I would love to, especially one with food as yummy looking as this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Th food look amazing! I love when I go to a party I am surprised to see vegan dishes.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, they really make my day! Thanks for reading my blog! I'm sorry I had to turn on word verification and comment moderation - I was getting so many spam comments!