Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Fun at the Farmers' Market

It's been a while since I had a good market-haul post!

I got a lot.

Last week, Mr Vegan Eats & Treats went out of town for a few days. This almost never happens. I took advantage of that opportunity to eat a random assortment of odds-n-ends from the pantry and the freezer and the fridge. I wouldn't really call them "complete meals," but I made some solid headway on a few things that had been lost without a recipe to call home.

The end result was a pretty empty fridge. Happily, the Saturday morning Farmers' Market came along and solved that problem in one fell swoop. I go to the market super early - at 7:30 am before my 8:00 am workout. Maybe that's not early to you, but it's early for me... especially on a Saturday! The great thing about going early is nothing is sold out yet, and you can have your pick of all the best produce. I feel so totally lucky to live in a place with all this glorious, mostly organic, local, vibrant produce to choose from!

it was a workout just carrying all that stuff!

I really cleaned up and got one million delicious goodies. All of this went into a giant pot of minestrone soup, Easter brunch (see previous post), Giant Salad Night, and then a few other assorted snacks and nibbles.

In case you're into lists, here's what I got:
1 leek
1 bunch celery
4 small sweet red bell peppers
5 heads assorted baby lettuce
2 lbs red new potatoes
2 small zucchini
big bag of sugar snap peas (snacking heaven!)
4 smallish red onions
2 baskets of bright red cherry tomatoes
1 tub Dill Pickle Sauerkraut (my favorite!)
1 bunch fresh dill
1/2 lb green beans
3 baskets strawberries (long gone!)
1 head of garlic (roasted, into minestrone - thanks, Jess!)
1 bunch of asparagus
1 small broccoli
2 bunches of carrots
1 bunch of green onions
3 small Haas avocados
1 bacon avocado
1 lb sliced mushrooms (they come pre-sliced! perfect for lazy me!)
1 bag of sunchokes for my friend Sophia

Yumma-lumma-ding-dong!

8 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:34 PM

    Bacon avocado?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:37 PM

    Hah, google it. Never heard of all of these other types! In Floriday, we have the giant [Florida?] avocados and the Hass. Apparently California grows quite a variety that I'm unfamiliar with. Hooray, avocados! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a haul! I only have a small farmers' market back home in England but I'm away this month in Geneva and the farmers' markets are amazing (albeit expensive). Makes me happy to have a fridge full of fresh market produce :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous2:57 PM

    Look at that bounty! I looooove starting the day at the farmer's markets, it puts me in a good mood all day :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh lovely avocados! they are so expensive in Australia lately - $4 or $5 each :-(
    Mangoes also were very expensive all summer :-(

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was at home alone for a couple of days, too. And what did I do? Go shopping! My fridge is still way too full.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous haul. Last time I was at a California farmers market, I saw an avocado that was unrecognizable as such. I only knew it was an avocado was because the farmer said so. You guys are spoiled by so many varieties of fruits and veggies! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great haul Amey and 7:30 is very definitely early!!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, they really make my day! Thanks for reading my blog! I'm sorry I had to turn on word verification and comment moderation - I was getting so many spam comments!