Tuesday, July 01, 2014

DIY Soy-Cashew Yogurt Update!

Hey! Remember a little while back when I got so excited and posted about finally making my own homemade yogurt? Well! I've been at it ever since and now I am a total pro.

you can call me YoPro

I still use Miyoko's recipe from Artisan Vegan Cheese - but I reduced the cashews to 1/2 cup per recipe (down from 2/3 cup). I really like this because it results in a tangier flavor and the cashew flavor is no longer noticeable. 

my two big yogurt jars

Nowadays, I make a double batch every time. These are my two big jars. I make the yogurt using a bit of the last batch as the starter, pour it into my jars, and just put the jars in the oven (turned off) for a while. I'm not even too specific about the timing. After 7-8 hours, I take a peek, stir 'em up a little... see how they look. If I'm content with how thick the yogurt has become, I'll transfer them to the fridge. If not, I'll leave them another hour or so.

To my delight, each progressive batch has gotten tangier and tangier! Also, I've noticed that it gets thicker as it ages, so at the end of my double batch is the best time of all. I'm gearing up for 4 weeks in Italy, and I'm hoping that if I make a little batch before I go, it will last four weeks in the fridge for me and so I can use it as starter once I get home again. I don't want to lose all the magic of my yogurt power that has been gradually building all this time! 

I have yogurt with breakfast almost every day: sometimes with some fruit, or cereal, or a little dab of jam, or all three! This yogurt is so tangy - which is what I love about yogurt - and then just a little touch of sweetness goes so nicely with it. I like it more than any store bought vegan yogurt I've ever bought - I don't think I'll ever go back! 

22 comments:

  1. This is so awesome, Amey! David has always been anti-yogurt, but suddenly in the past few months he's fallen in love with it. The only problem is coconut yogurt is about $2 for a little container. I'd love to find a way to make it at home for less! I'm going to pull out Miyoko's recipe and make your changes. Maybe someday in the future I'll earn a yo pro t-shirt too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do it, Cadry!! It's SO easy and delicious!!

      Delete
  2. Oooh, I need to try that!! I have Miyoko's book, so I should do that ASAP. I've been all about making my own kombucha and stuff lately, so yogurt seems the next logical step.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you will be the queen of all things homemade!

      Delete
  3. Well, you've got me convinced. Do you have any pro-tips for starting out?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah, it's pretty easy. Also my first batch was just okay, but I just perservered, and each batch gets better and better. Use a thermometer to get your milk at 110F before you add the starter yogurt. Sometimes I overheat it by accident, and then I just wait until it cools down to 110 and proceed from there!

      Delete
  4. It's been so long since I've made yoghurt. (I mean REALLY long.) You make it sound so easy that I want to try it again. Do you preheat the oven before turning it off? I love the way the yoghurt looks in the jars — so white and creamy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. no, I don't preheat! I think that if the whole situation gets too warm, it kills the yogurt bacterias... so I just let the heat of the mixture provide the heat... But putting the jar in an enclosed area (like the oven or microwave) just means that the heat isn't totally lost. It seems to work great.

      Delete
  5. So beautiful and smooth! I only recently realized how much I love and eat yogurt! It would be so nice (and cheaper) to figure out how to make my own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. try it!! Yeah, this stuff is super smooth and creamy.

      Delete
  6. This looks awesome. There are very few vegan yoghurt options in Australia, and most of them are pretty grim. I really need to try making my own!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We used to have a really good unsweetened yogurt option, but they had factory problems (forEVER), and that's what compelled me to make my own. It's so easy - and honestly - it's so much better... I don't think I'll go back.

      Delete
  7. Great job on making your own yogurt! Love that yours is tangier, the store-bought ones always seem more sweet than tangy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know!! And yogurt should be tangy!! This is one of my peeves with storebought yogurts.

      Delete
  8. I was making yoghurt over the summer here in Australia using coconut yoghurt as the starter (but it costs $14 for 400g/13oz here - eep!). I mixed it with soy milk and left it outside for 8 - 10 hours and it worked brilliantly! I stopped making it when the weather turned cold, but I miss it. You have inspired me to try it in the oven. I will probably have to turn the oven on for a few minutes to warm it slightly, and then turn it off when the yoghurt goes in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think you need to preheat, Mia! The warmth of the mixture should be enough! Because you don't want to overheat the little starter microbes. Or whatever they are.

      Delete
  9. Oh man, I'm so jealous that you are (the cutest ever) yopro! I really need to start doing that because vegan yogurt does NOT exist here in any way, shape, or form, and I always want to use it for naan, etc...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gabrielle! TWINSIES. Of course, it was actually NAAN that inspired me to finally make my own yogurt. Because you just can't be using sweetened vanilla yogurt in your naan. And that naan from VEW is the best thing ever.

      Delete
  10. I remember my grandma used to make yogurt from scratch. She had been using the the same starter batch for years! And since she was Greek, it was always think and tangy Greek yogurt! I didn't even know Greek yogurt was a thing! I just knew my grandma made amazing yogurt that I never had anywhere else. Then the Greek yogurt fad started, but I had been eating it since I was a baby!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so cool, LittleMonster! I feel like the thick yogurt at the bottom of the jar is like greek yogurt, and it's my favorite part!

      Delete
  11. I'm so impressed, Amey!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks so good! I'll have to try it one day!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, they really make my day! Thanks for reading my blog! I'm sorry I had to turn on word verification and comment moderation - I was getting so many spam comments!