Thursday, August 14, 2014

A Vegan Prepares to Travel

Hi Friends! I'm finally back from my trip to Italy... and also I'm finally "back" - if you know what I mean. It always takes me about a week to really arrive back home: to get used to dollars instead of euros in my wallet, to stop thinking in Italian, to find my daily rhythm again.

Even though it's back-tracking - I thought I'd do a post about some of the Emergency Vegan Supplies that I took with me on my trip.


My travels were a bit unorthodox, because I was participating in a 3.5 week artists' workshop in the Tuscan countryside. I knew that our days would be very full, and that I wouldn't be able to easily get myself to stores with special vegan food. Also, we had a woman lined up to cook for us so that we could have more time in the studio, and I didn't entirely know what to expect from that. 

I figured veggies would be pretty abundant, and I knew I'd be eating more bread than I could shake a stick at - so I focused on bringing lots of high-protein snacks. I brought at least one for every day of my trip, and didn't bring a single thing home with me - so that worked out well. In the end, we did eat a fair amount of beans, but I was really glad to have all these protein snacks with me.

Also, it was a good chance to finally use up lots of the odd ball snacks and protein powders and power bars that I had been accumulating. Blame it on the Vegan Cuts Snack Box, or impulse purchases, or my snack-hoarding tendencies... but the pantry was getting a bit full...

I brought: lots of different protein powders, various protein bars, lots of Primal Strip jerkies (Thai Peanut is my favorite flavor!), lots of dry-roasted edamames (YUMS), a couple of chia bars (lots of Omega 3s), and some of my favorite Wild Garden Hummus packets. It was a good assortment! I learned years ago that if I'm going to be gone for a month, a wide variety of snacks is really important.

p.s. The other good thing about packing so many snacks is that it guarantees that you will have room in your bag to bring home new snacks from your travels! 


I am also a compulsive Airplane Snack Packer. I don't like to be hungry on a plane. It is bad.
So, I brought all of this good stuff along for my flight - and, uh, ate it all. Ha ha. I also brought along my Number One Travel Snack: a humungous bag of carrot sticks and celery sticks. I love how the veggies feel so hydrating and fresh in the stale airplane experience. I ate almost all of them, but had a few left for a late night snack when I arrived in Florence. It's a good thing I brought so much food along, because the "vegan" meal that United provided wasn't actually very vegan at all, and because there were flight delays and I arrived at 11:30 pm, instead of arriving at 5:00 pm. I had anticipated going out for dinner on my first night, so it was good I had extra snacks. 

Amey, the happy vegan traveler


Next up: Some culinary highlights from Florence

13 comments:

  1. Welcome back!! Even though I've been following along with much interest on Facebook, I'm still excited to hear more in depth details about your trip. I bet your family was so glad to have you home again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes - they were, and the feeling was mutual!! I don't usually get homesick, but I was homesick on this trip and it was so great to be reunited. <3

      Delete
  2. Ooooh I'm so excited! I've been looking up vegan ears in Florence because I'm going in October so this is great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh cool! i hope you can get a few good tips from my Florence posts. I have been to Florence many times, but somehow I loved it more than ever before this time around. What a special place it is.

      Delete
  3. I know what you mean about needing a few days to decompress and get used to real life again after a long trip. It always take me a while to get back into the swing of things! I love your airplane doodle, too cute! And I always take carrot sticks to snack on, they're so yummy and fresh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah! Even though I hardly get jetlag, I still need some time just to find my day-to-day routine again. Traveling is so funny, how it messes with you. I think people weren't really meant to travel such distances so quickly!

      Delete
  4. Hope you had a fab time on the workshop. I always travel with snacks too...though maybe not quite so many ;)
    I always seem to have a mountain of snack bars and nibbly things (I'm a hoarder too) which I pretty much never eat at home so travelling is my chance to work on my stash.
    Yes to packing crudités too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha ha - cheers to a fellow snack hoarder. honestly - I have so many little goodies. i could probably live off my pantry alone for a month!

      Delete
  5. I've been wanting to take protein power and green super foods powder along with me on my travels but worried that I might have some trouble bringing a big bag of powder on the plane - great idea using the little sample packages!
    Katie
    www.worldwidevegetarian.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the small packets are great! And, of course, I packed most of it in my suitcase, and just brought a few goodies in my carry-on. No problems at all!

      Delete
  6. Welcome back! Great ideas on what to pack food-wise for a longer trip. Sounds like you had no problems bringing everything on board the plane. Looking forward to reading about the rest of your trip. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For short trips, I don't really fuss so much. But when I'm going to be gone for a whole month - and especially if I know that I won't have easy access to grocery stores... then I stock up more.

      Delete
  7. I know what you mean about needing a few days to decompress and get used to real life again after a long trip. It always take me a while to get back into the swing of things! I love your airplane doodle, too cute! And I always take carrot sticks to snack on, they're so yummy and fresh!ヴェルサーチ新作

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, they really make my day! Thanks for reading my blog! I'm sorry I had to turn on word verification and comment moderation - I was getting so many spam comments!