Monday, February 19, 2018

Cupcakes and Corndogs for Valentine's Day



Last week I was up in Berkeley for a 5-day long yoga course. The yoga learning was really amazing, but I was also happy to do lots of great vegan eating while there... and to stop by the all-vegan grocery store Republic of V. As you can see, I stocked up on all sorts of goodies that I've heard good things about and aren't for sale in Santa Cruz. There may have also been a Rescue Chocolates Peanut Butter Pit Bull and some Sam's Jerky that didn't make it home with me. Hee hee.

One thing I've been longing to try were the Field Roast mini Corn Dogs. I mean, COME ON. I haven't had a corn dog in 30 years (what.) and the Field Roast Frankfurters are by far my favorite vegan hot dogs. I've been waiting for these to come to Santa Cruz... and waiting. I was so happy to nab a bag of them at Republic of V.

  


Nothing says romance like corn dogs, amirite? Ha ha.

 
I got home late at night on the 13th, and had to teach class on Valentine's evening... so it wasn't gonna be a fancy date night out - which suits us just fine. We decided to splurge and have mini corn dogs for dinner. True Romance, I tell ya. We had 'em with lots of mustard, red cabbage sauerkraut, and a hefty side of steamed broccoli. 

I loved these little corn doggies! The corn bread batter is a nice balance of sweet and savory, and has perfect cornbread texture. And of course the frankfurter mini dogs inside are perfect because they are made by Field Roast and it seems like everything they touch just turns to gold. We had so much fun with this goofy Valentine's dinner... who needs fancy food and red roses?! Hopefully these will find their way to Santa Cruz soon. I want to eat them again!


clinking mini corn dogs instead of champagne flutes



Valentine's evening isn't a super popular time to show up for yoga class, but I promised my students that if they showed up, I would bring some special homemade goodies. So, I made a batch of mini chocolate cupcakes with chocolate buttercream frosting. They were perfect - rich and delicious! It's always so fun to bring treats for my students. 



The week before Valentine's Day, I asked "Is anyone actually going to come to class next week??" and two of my beloved committed students said that they would be there AND that it would be their wedding anniversary. How sweet is that? So, instead of regular ol' mini cupcakes I made a special mini cake just for them to take home and enjoy. I have these cute mini-cake papers that I got at Cost Plus at Christmas time... so they had Christmas designs on them (ha ha, oops), but they are a great size. I think they're probably equal to about 3 regular size cupcakes. 

While I was at it, I made one for us too! So, after our seductive mini-corn dog dinner, we enjoyed our very own mini cake together while we watched Olympics on TV. For a couple goofballs like us, this was actually a pretty perfect Valentine's Day! 

what if Cupid was a cute little angel pup
with mini corndogs on the end of his arrow???

5 comments:

  1. I just saw those Field Roast corndogs in a store near me and I couldn't believe they existed! (I am totally out of the new-vegan-product loop.) Amazing what choices we have now! But really, it's those sweet little cupcakes that I'd really like. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We can get those corndogs here, but I haven't tried them yet. Sounds like I should!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Field Roast Corndogs! Want some! Next time you're somewhere that has them, pick up an extra pkg. for me, please.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so thoughtful! I bet your students were really touched that you made special anniversary cakes for them. I was obsessed with finding those Field Roast corndogs too. I agree that any product by them is bound to be good. I air fried the corndogs, and they were very tasty! I wouldn't need to have them all the time, but they're a fun every-once-in-a-while indulgence.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so excited about those corn dogs! They have them at a local grocery store chain but they are a little pricey. Soo... I will EVENTUALLY get them. Just waiting for the right time. XD

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, they really make my day! Thanks for reading my blog! I'm sorry I had to turn on word verification and comment moderation - I was getting so many spam comments!