Thursday, January 18, 2007

A Few Days Worth of Eats...

Ooops! I got a little sloppy with my updates. :)


It's been a few days since I posted... so here are a few of the goodies I've been eating!



A couple of nights ago, we had some interesting butternut squash raviolis for dinner. I got these from my trip to SF. They were very sweet actually, the filling also had chestnuts in it. I suppose I should have served them with the traditional topping for butternut squash raviolis - which is butter (or Earth Balance!), garlic, and sage. I just couldn't bring myself to do that, so I made a garlicky, sage-y tomato sauce topping. Not Bad! And, I also cooked up a big mess of VwaV's roasted brussel sprouts. These are SO GOOD. I was never a brussel sprout fan until I tried Isa's version, and now I love them so much. Yum yum. We also split our last cara cara orange with dinner.
This is the kind of dinner I eat when Musty has already eaten without me. :) The patty is one of those Dr. Prager patties full of veggies. They're pretty good. Served with a big delicious slice of sourdough bread (Naughty!) with a little bit of Earth Balance (naughty, naughty!). And a big mess of fruit. Kiwis are a big crop around here this time of year, so I can buy tons of organic kiwis at the farmers market quite inexpensively. Yum.



Here's yesterday's breakfast - homemade oatmeal with pecans and maple syrup. Plus a little tangelo and some tea. I'm really not much of a tea drinker, though I try from time to time to see if I can find some I like. I do like this one, it's the Numi Tea decaf chai... I think it's called Rooibus Red or something like that.
Musty is out of town for a couple of days, at a music conference, so I get to eat some of the things that he doesn't like. I got LOADS of veggies at the farmers' market yesterday - including two big batches of kale, which is one of Musty's "Do Not Eat" foods. I also got a Japanese Sweet Potato and a Yam (two others on musty's forbidden list), a big jug of fresh & organic pomegranate juice (it's still frozen in this picture), some organic local olive oil... and a couple of fun things I've never eaten before: dandelion greens and a white cherimoya! How Fun! The cherimoya is still hard, so it'll be a little while before I eat that. But I'll probably try the dandelion greens soon, while they're still bright and fresh. I have no idea what to do with them... any suggestions?
Last night I got home late from teaching and still had to whip something up for dinner. I made some wild rice in the pressure cooker, which turned out pretty well. I hadn't ever done that before. Start to finish, it probably took about 25 minutes.... not bad. In fact, I made a TON of wild rice... so you'll be seeing more of that!

I also made "Cuban Style Black Beans" from "Vegan Planet," one of my two new cookbooks. Yum! I didn't have black beans, so I just used aduki beans, and it turned out very nice. They're spicy and also have carrots and onions in there. Plus, I had a big giant bowl of steamed kale (yum!), which I had to share with my demanding little cat. Every time we make green veggies, he gets beligerently affectionate and meows his little head off until we share with him. Crazy! Also, there's a small bowl of plain Wildwood soy yogurt there, to balance the spiciness of the beans.


Last but not least, here's this morning's breakfast. I took some of the leftover wild rice and made the "raisin rice pudding" from "How it All Vegan". It turned out pretty well, with a slight unfortunate burnt flavor - but still enjoyable. It's a nice recipe. It's got rice, soymilk, almonds, raisins, vanilla, cinnmon, and sweetner. I used a combo of molasses and maple syrup, and ate it along with a glass of pomegranate juice. Now that I've properly digested it all, I'm off to my yoga room for my daily practice!

6 comments:

  1. I used to love those Dr. Praeger burgers, but I quit buying them when he got in trouble for "mislabeling" the nutrition info on the box. I love how you can see all the different veggies in the patties.

    Put the dandelion greens in your salad. I eat them every day and they are delicious!

    Have fun eating the forbidden foods!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:23 PM

    I've always cooked dandelion greens like kale, with some garlic and olive oil, and a squeeze of lemon. They are nice mixed with anything with white beans. Also, they are on the bitter side, which is a nice balance if you something sweet in a dish like winter squash or sweet potatoes.

    Oh my gosh, Musty would be ordering lots of take-out in my house :-) I love kale so much, and I have recently been addicted to those Japanese sweet potatoes. Has he tried the dino/lacinato kale? It has such different texture, as you know, from some of the other kales, that maybe he would be okay with it.

    Finally, I like that fire hydrant glass :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lots of good looking food there! Yum, cherimoya is so good! Make a green smoothie with your dandelion greens - stick them in you blender with a couple of bananas and lots of your cheap kiwiw fruit, blend and drink. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mom used to make a salad with dandelion greens and a homemade dressing - I think it was some combo of milk/flour/butter/bacon that she'd learned from her mom, which might be veganize-able.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous5:01 PM

    Musty is just downright crazy!!! I'd happily eat anything you wanted to cook and serve. I've never eaten dandelion greens although I have a bunch sprouting up in my yard! Hahah! I've also never eaten a cherimoya so I'm excited to see what you do with these two things.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh- I recognize those Kellogs bowls! We had them when I was a kid, and my brother and I used to love eating cereal out of them! Cute.
    I agree with Crystal. Musty is crazy- how can you not love kale? and sweet potatoes? Augh! Oh well, more for you.
    I love dandelion greens. We "harvested" them from our own yard this fall!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, they really make my day! Thanks for reading my blog! I'm sorry I had to turn on word verification and comment moderation - I was getting so many spam comments!