Friday, October 03, 2008

VeganMoFo: Seasonal Soups

These autumn days are so unpredictable. Some days it's 85 degrees and I'm eating melons in the back yard... other days it's cold and foggy and I'm ready to jump in the hot tub.

What? Hot tub!? Oh yeah! Musty got a great deal on a used hot tub a few weeks back, and we've been warm and cozy ever since. I love it.

Hot tub, or no... it's still nice to have something warm to eat on a chilly day. This is the "Smoky Black Bean Soup with Tortillas and Lime Cream" from "The Healthy Hedonist" cookbook. It was my first time making this recipe, and we loved it. I used her recommended pressure cooker method, which I really appreciated. The recipe came together quickly, and was quite delicious. Special additions of chipotle chiles and dry sherry, plus the tofu-based lime cream really helped bring some zing to an otherwise pretty straightforward black bean soup.

This picture is unattractive... but don't be fooled. This soup is SO freaking good. It's the tortilla soup recipe from "The Real Food Daily Cookbook." Thick, tomatoey, spicy, and filling... it's just wonderful. And I love the crunchy little tortilla strips from this recipe too. (You can see that I made a big batch and used some in the Black Bean Soup too.) This is one of Musty's all time favorites, and I have to agree.

Mmmmm, even if it's chilly outside, it's toasty on the inside!

So far so good on the VeganMoFo front... enthusiasm is still goin' strong! Keep on keepin' on mofos!

9 comments:

  1. Both soups look delicious. I could have used a bowl to warm my bones last night. It got pretty darn chilly in my neck of the woods.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:55 PM

    That tortilla soup is definitely going on my "Must Make" list. Even though it's been a billion degrees around here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hooray for hot tubs and hot, seasonal soups!! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the RFD tortilla soup! And I bake regular size tortilla chips using that recipe for the strips.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lucky girl. A hot tub AND delicious-looking soups! I'm jealous of your summer produce, we are well into autumn up here. I can't wait to put together your care package. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. RFD is one of my favorite cookbooks and how I wish I had a pressure cooker.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous8:53 AM

    Your so lucky you have a hot tub!!! I love soups on cool weather. So comforting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You definitely sold me on that first soup. Now just to get the cookbook!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those soups look awesome. I have to say that every time I see your banner of the peaches and watermelon at the top of your blog, I smile. I love those colors.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, they really make my day! Thanks for reading my blog! I'm sorry I had to turn on word verification and comment moderation - I was getting so many spam comments!