Monday, December 08, 2008

Annual Christmas Craft Party

This weekend was our annual Christmas Craft Party. In years past, this has involved inviting everyone that we know and love, and turning our small house into a crazy den of glitter and scissors and glue guns and felt and so on. This year, I just didn't have it in me. I'm not sure why. So we toned it way down. Just had a few close friends and family over for a mellow afternoon of treats and holiday crafts. We honed in on a few specific crafts: painting on blank mugs from the goodwill, glass etching on blank glassware from goodwill, paper snowflakes (my personal all time favorite), and the ever-popular Make-A-Plate.

I didn't feel like getting stressed out or anxious over the party, so I kept it super simple with easy-to-make food offerings, but there were still delicious and fun.

As it turns out, I made enough food as though I had still invited my entire address book, and there was way too much food. But at least it was GOOD food! These are the Samosa Baked Potatoes from "Veganomicon," which I hadn't ever made before. Very easy & very delicious. I'll definitely make these again. Next time I might kick up the spices a little, or make a tamarind chutney to go with them, but really, I have no complaints about this recipe. It is a genius idea to put samosa filling in a twice baked potato.

A big batch of "Creamy Hummus" from "Vive le Vegan!" This has become my go-to recipe for hummus: fast, easy, low on oil, high on flavor. Love it!

And a gigantic bowl of popcorn. I used the awesome air popper that my mom scored for me at the thrift store. I love it. The popcorn is so easy, and it was a big hit. Especially with the kiddos. I had to make another giant bowl, which was gone by the end of the party.

My dear friend Sandy brought along a delicious batch of roasted asparagus. Isn't that a nice idea for something to bring to a party? She is really awesome, and so was her asparagus. Very tender and tasty.

Of course, you simply must have sweeties, or it's just not a party, is it? This is a batch of the "Low Fat Gingerbread Men" from "Joy of Cooking." As I did last year, I had a "decorate your own gingerbread man" station - 3 colors of frosting, silver balls, and red hots. It's so fun.

A double batch of "Maple Walnut Cookies" from "Vive le Vegan".... one of the best recipes of all time. These cookies are freaky good and worth the pricey 1/2 cup of maple syrup. To me, maple-y flavors are Christmas-y... and everyone loved these, as I would have expected!


And lastly, a double batch of "Chocolate Mint Melties" from the "Everyday Dish DVD." It was Vicki who first introduced me to these cookies when I met her at her house for lunch last year. I love them so much, and of course, the chocolate-mint combo is very seasonal indeed. Lucky for us, there are still about 5-6 of these in the freezer, awaiting their demise!

Now that the craft party has come and gone, I feel that I have fully committed to the holiday season. Time to start designing a card and getting my annual cookbook together!

ho ho ho!

18 comments:

  1. Wow... looks so delicious o.o

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm, I love those stuffed taters! Cookies, cookies, cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4:07 AM

    Wow, what a spread! Those potatoes, the gingerbread men, the hummus, everything looks absolutely delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous5:02 AM

    Those samosa stuffed taters are a huge favourite with us - can't get enough of them - and they are so darn easy! And all that cookie goodness...must have cookies...

    ReplyDelete
  5. TOO MUCH AMAZINGNESS!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmmm, I never thought to serve samosas that way. Great idea!
    Those chocolate mint cookies look awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know what you mean about the holidays being too much sometimes! But man, you cranked out some delicious food for that party!! I am soo drooling over those samosa potatoes. Hope all your crafting went well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. what fun! i love the idea of a craft party! that's too awesome! and while i'm talk'n about awesome - the foodz = mmmmmmmmmm! especially the hummus, cookies, and samosa potatoes! WOW!

    i love your idea for an annual cookbook! that's brilliant! i might have to borrow your idea and create one for my family, too! thanks, Amey!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lots of good stuff! Everything looks delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Seeing all these yummy treats reminds me past craft parties and the warm fun atmosphere at your house. Miss you guys! Love, Carey

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great spread! Thats my kind of Xmas party!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous8:00 AM

    it makes me so sad that the price of maple syrup has gone through the roof.
    the gingerbread dudes are totally calling my name.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think this is the third Christmas craft event I've seen of yours and it's just as awesome in it's toned down version.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow that party sounds so fun, and what a great way to make tons of food and not waste it! I have been hearing a lot about those samosa potatoes, I think I need to make them soon.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous11:59 AM

    Luscious.
    Re gluten: I've just read an article about how pervasive melamine has become in the world. There was a warning that it is now to be found in gluten, and that tracking the flow in the world market is nigh on impossible. It makes it appear that the only way to be assured of melamine-free gluten might be to make oneself. Any well-researched info you are aware of to at least suggest that buying organic is a safety feature in this instance?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous1:02 PM

    I love your gingerbread station idea. That is so much fun for all ages. Both of those cookies have been on my must make list for ever it seems. I can't believe I haven't gotten to them yet. Especially with so many good reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous10:19 AM

    This sounds like such an awesome party, especially with all of that incredible food!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Everything looks so tasty! It sounds like a really fun party.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, they really make my day! Thanks for reading my blog! I'm sorry I had to turn on word verification and comment moderation - I was getting so many spam comments!