Thursday, November 04, 2010

VeganMoFo: Peruvian Seitan and Potato Stir Fry

Friends! Today we continue our journey around the world to Peru! Ever since I was a little girl, I have really been grooving on comics. I was a little tyke reading comic books, Archie, Mad Magazine, super heroes, Elf Quest, Asterix & Obelisk, the newspaper funnies (which I still read every. single. day!), and my most favorites of all were my Tintin books! Now that I am a culturally-sensitive grown-up, I see that there are plenty of valid imperialist critiques of Tintin, but he still has such a special place in my heart. The artwork, the colors, the details, the global adventures... In fact, I'm pretty sure that reading Tintin books was probably a big part of what got me so fascinated with world travel. In particular, I really, really remember Tintin's adventures in Peru, from "Prisoners of the Sun." The drawings of Peruvian people and landscapes and llamas are so beautiful. So, even though I still haven't been to Peru, this special Peruvian meal was extra exciting for me. The whole time I was cooking it and eating it, I was imaging myself waltzing around the streets of Peru with Tintin and Snowy (love!).

Once again, I turned to the fabulous "Viva Vegan" for tonight's meal: Seitan Saltado, aka "Peruvian Seitan and Potato Stir Fry." Mr. Vegan Eats & Treats was away, so I just made a half batch. But still it ended up lasting me 2 meals! It's sorta too bad he was away, because he would have really loved this meal. It was SO FREAKY GOOD. Filling and full of spices and flavors - seitan, garlic, fresh tomatoes (their are still some tomatoes emerging from our waning tomato patch!)... plus the oven fries. I don't make potatoes all that often, but they really are tasty, and they were a perfect balance to the hearty, flavorful seitan stew. In order to receive maximum health benefits, I included a most un-traditional side of steamed collards. Please forgive me!

Peru! Where are we going next????? Come back tomorrow to find out!

p.s. Some readers have asked where they can find the recipes for all these delicious meals I am enjoying! Starting today, I will include a link on the title of the cookbook I used, so you can see what the book looks like, and consider buying it or checking it out from the library. I don't like to publish the recipes on my blog, because they aren't mine to publish. Our vegan cookbook authors work so hard and don't exactly become millionaires in return, so I don't want to mess with their copyrights and such. However, there will be a few recipes showing up sometime soon that I modified enough to feel okay about publishing them. In the meantime, click on the cookbook links to build your own vegan cookbook collection!


20 comments:

  1. I've been wanting to make that since I got Viva Vegan, hopefully it'll pop up in my cookbook challenge next week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, wat a great post! And your drawing is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ha ha thats so funny you did Peru today! I'm planning on making some peruvian quinoa soup for tomorrow. When we were in Peru last spring it was my favourite meal!

    Your doing an awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy! I always want to make that dish when I realize I don't have potatoes. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I still don't have Viva Vegan. Clearly I am a fool.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was a recipe tester for Terry and I have to say everything I made was phenomenal. I'm really enjoying your vegan recipe adventures. Happy Vegan MoFo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm loving your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i don't think i've ever had peruvian yuminesses - and now i think i'd love to make lots of them! i need to expand a little in the kitchen, research some recipes, and get off my bum & get my hands on Viva Vegan. w00t! your seitan and potato stir fry looks awesome, and i like the Tintin comics - they look really cool. i grew up reading lots of Hi and Louis books, the funnies on sundays (the only day my dad would buy the paper), and spiderman. :) comics are great and i remember them fondly - this makes me want to start reading some again. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Again, this looks fantastic! I'm ordering this book tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  10. love this series you are doing! your cartoons and logo are so fun, and the food looks so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved Tin Tin as a kid too and I still love comics, so I am really enjoying your cute little cartoons with each post. You're really talented, and as a cook as well, obviously!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks absolutely delicious. I have this cookbook and haven't made anything from it yet. Why? Everyone says absolutely everything is delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love Mad comics! There are so many meals left to make from Viva Vegan. I love that book. I'll have to make this one soon.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is yet another Viva Vegan recipe that I haven't tried. The seitan looks so good and spicy!

    I used to love comics when I was a child, and I couldn't go to sleep at night without reading comics for a few minutes. Why did I ever stop?!

    PS: Isn't "I approve" cat hilarious? :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. Excellent channeling of the Tintin gestalt. Yeah, Snowy's a winner.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous4:48 AM

    ooh, another one to bookmark in my copy of viva vegan! looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have been wanting that cookbook. It's on my wishlist. I love seitan or any kind of faux meat with potatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Llamas! Adorable drawing. This meal sounds super delicious! I totally would have added some greens too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anonymous6:25 PM

    You draw an awesome Tintin. 8)

    ReplyDelete
  20. This looks so incredibly tasty! I don't really need more cookbooks but I waaant this...

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, they really make my day! Thanks for reading my blog! I'm sorry I had to turn on word verification and comment moderation - I was getting so many spam comments!