Monday, January 01, 2007

More Happy New Year & A Product Review

In my first post earlier today, I forgot to mention my mom's amazing VEGAN Christmas pudding that she made for our New Year celebration!!! It was very rich, very moist, dense, and delicious. My mom is so cool to make it vegan. You pour brandy on it, then set it on fire and wait until the alcohol all burns off. I tried to take a picture of the flame in the dark, but it didn't turn out.


Tonight for dinner I made Bryanna's "Kuwaiti-style black eyed peas with greens." It was pretty good... Musty ate a little bit, then went and made spaghetti. Oops. That always bums me out a bit. I liked the dish however, and happily ate my big bowl of it. Good thing too, because there is a TON left over. I guess I should have made a half recipe!

Finally, a product review: Sjaak's vegan organic chocolate Nuts and Chews. OH MY GOD!!!! These are so so so so so so good. I saw them on the Vegan Essential website, and tried to order some but they were already sold out. Now I know why! I later found them at our local health food store and splurged and bought myself a box. There are 9 chocolates inside: 7 caramels and 2 nut clusters. All in organic dark chocolate. The caramels are SO DECADENTLY AMAZING. Each is a different flavor: peanut, pecan, chocolate, mocha, coconut, etc. Wow, I haven't had chocolate caramels since becoming vegan and these are great. I'll confess, I went back and got another box. They're that good. Apparently they also put out a box around Valentine's Day... so keep your eyes out!

16 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:01 AM

    Wow flaming - how impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, pretty cool huh?!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:50 AM

    Oh my gosh- I want a vegan Christmas pudding! I'm one of those nutty types that actually loves fruitcake and pudding and all the traditional foods. Way to go to your mom!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:50 AM

    Oh my gosh- I want a vegan Christmas pudding! I'm one of those nutty types that actually loves fruitcake and pudding and all the traditional foods. Way to go to your mom!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh, Bazu,
    Me too! I LOVE fruitcake and such. :) I can't figure out why people always complain about it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous11:43 AM

    Cool!
    Well, I forgot to add one more thing: I LOVE Dirty Rotten Scoundrels- when I was a kid, my brother and I must have watched it 20 or 30 times! More things we have in common...=)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous3:12 PM

    That flaming pudding is amazing! Your mom it so sweet. Sounds like you have a great family. I don't dare try something like that though. I'd likely burn the whole house down I'm such a clutz!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous5:59 AM

    Vegan Xmas pudding? How cool is YOUR mom?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous3:48 PM

    Good to see the black eyed peas in action! I have a ton in my freezer I have been avoiding. And super kudos to your mom on the intense pudding!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous5:46 PM

    yum. yum. yum!

    That pudding looks incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous8:00 AM

    Everything looks really great--especially the beans n greens as I think I could actually eat those without committing a dietary transgression.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi VivV,
    Ha ha... your comment made me laugh. I agree about the flaming part being a bit scary. I'm just as content that she handles this one, although, I'll have to learn how to make it at some point!

    Hi UV,
    * blush! * I'll tell my mom that she's getting some vegan-cool accolades.

    Hi Jess,
    Yeah! This is my first time ever making black-eyed peas for new years. I even soaked them overnight ahead of time, which I don't usually bother to do (but I couldn't find any canned ones - maybe there was a new year rush on black eyed peas!). I really liked this recipe a lot. And it also made great leftovers.

    Hi Kris,
    Yum yum is right! it was very tasty!

    Hi Nikki,
    Ha! That cracks me up. Yes, the beans are very flavorful and also very simple. No "dietary transgressions" required at all. I've been eating them for lunch and dinner ever since, over some simple brown basmati rice - it's great!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous1:46 PM

    wow, your mom rocks! and those vegan chews, I was lucky enough to have one recently and had to immediately e-mail the company and gush. I got a kind e-mail in return too (of course, i was hoping for a free box - heh.)

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous2:36 PM

    Ohhhh, love the package on the Sjaak's, and they sound amazing. Mmmm, beans and greens.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Jacey!
    I hope that Utah had a great birthday! :) Ha ha! I've totally written letters to companies hoping for free handouts!! Sigh. At least you got a nice letter back. Keep an eye on Vegan Essentials around Valentine's Day...
    :)

    Hi Jen!
    Nice to hear from you. Yeah, isn't that package pretty? The goodies inside are even better!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous1:36 PM

    Those chocolates sound amazing, I'll have to keep my eyes peeled!!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, they really make my day! Thanks for reading my blog! I'm sorry I had to turn on word verification and comment moderation - I was getting so many spam comments!