Monday, October 10, 2011

VeganMoFo 10: Cardamon not-cinnamon Rolls

Mmmm, Cardamom!

I have 3 kinds of cardamom: whole, just the seeds, and ground up.
The ground cardamom, which is the most common in these parts, was all out of stock when I took this picture.

Quite a few months ago, I made some really delicious puff pastry cookies stuffed with ground almonds, rose water, and cardamom. They were super delicious, but the real star was the filling itself. I couldn't stop eating it. So, it occured to me, "Wouldn't it be cool to put this stuff inside a cinnamon roll?!"

picture by VeganForTheWin!

Guess what? It WAS cool! For a recent Bake Sale for Farm Sanctuary, I finally did it, and made Cardamom Rolls with Almonds and Rosewater. I think these are probably one of the most delicious things I have ever baked in my whole life. I love love love them. The almonds are a little crunchy, the sweetness level is not at all overbearing, and the rose water gives an amazing hue to the flavor. So lovely. Even if you are gluten-free or just too lazy to make the rolls themselves, make the filling and snack on it by itself. It's that good.

This is almost verbatim the cinnamon bun recipe from Vegan Brunch by Isa Chandra Moskowitz, and then the filling recipe is from Silk Road Cooking, and I put the two together for magical results. The hardest thing is to not keep calling them "cinnamon rolls," even though they don't have any cinnamon in them. I kept calling them Cinnamon Rolls with Cardamom, which is still wrong!

Cardamom Rolls with Almonds & Rosewater
makes 12 rolls

Dough:
1 packet active yeast, or 2 1/4 tsp
1/3 c sugar, + 1 tsp
1/2 c warm water
3/4 c milk, at room temp (I used almond milk)
1/3 c canola oil
3/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cardamom
3 1/2 - 4 cups of all-purpose flour

Filling:
(this makes a little extra, but you will need it, because you will need to snack on it)
1 1/2 c blanched almond slivers
3/4 c sugar
4 1/2 tsp cardamom
4 1/2 tsp rose water
--
1/4 c Earth Balance

Icing:
1 c powdered sugar
1 1/2 tbsp almond milk
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp almond extract

To make the filling:
While your dough is rising, make the filling. Mix the almonds and sugar together in a medium-sized pot, and then toast over medium heat for about 10 minutes (or less), until the sugar is lightly caramelized and partially melted. Stir often so that it doesn't burn. Add the cardamom and rose water, mix well, and then remove from heat. Set aside to cool.

Once it's cool, put it in a blender or food processor and pulse a few times until you get a coarse powder with some bigger chunks still there - I made it sort of half-powdery and half-nutty, but obviously you could leave them or grind them all up.

To make the dough:
In a big bowl, combine the yeast, warm water and 1 tsp sugar. Whisk it to combine and then let it rest for 5-10 minutes to make sure your yeast is active. It should look a little foamy and frothy. Then, add in the rest of the sugar, the milk, oil, salt, cardamom, and 2 cups of flour. Stir well, and then start adding in the rest of the flour, until you've added about 3 1/3 cups total. Knead it for about 5 minutes, until it is a soft, smooth dough... adding a bit more flour as needed.

Take a big clean bowl and lightly oil the inside of it. Place your dough in there, and cover with saran wrap. Set it in a warm place for about an hour, or until it has doubled in size. While it is rising, make the filling (see below).

Once it has risen, punch it down (fun part!) and let it rest for about 10 minutes. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough into a large rectangle about 12 x 18 inches. Sprinkle the filling evenly all over the surface. You'll probably have a little left over, which is fine. Then take the Earth Balance and cut it or break it into little pieces and dot that all around.

Starting from the long edge, slowly roll up the dough into a long tube. Take care to roll slowly and keep the roll pretty tight. At the end, I use a little water to moisten the edge (like on an envelope) and then I pinch it shut a little.

Take an 11x13 baking dish and lightly spray it or oil it with some veggie oil. Using a sharp knife, take your long tube and slice it into 12 equal pieces. (cut it in half, then cut each half in half. Now you have 4 pieces. Cut each piece into 3 equal pieces. Easy! )

Place them into your baking pan sliced side down. Cover the dish with saran wrap or a towel and let it rise for about 45 minutes.

Preheat your oven to 375 F. Bake for 18-24 minutes until they are lightly browned and very puffy! Remove from the oven. In a small bowl, mix together the icing ingredients and drizzle that over the buns.

20 comments:

  1. oh goodness! i've been working on xgfx cinnamon rolls, so i will give these a shot. i might use pistachios tho, cuz pistachios and rosewater are a true love of mine.

    i love your illustration. someone needs to make giant cardamon roll plushies for us in real life!

    xo
    kittee

    ReplyDelete
  2. We need to have another brunch potluck so you can bring these. I wanted to eat one so badly at the bakesale but with only a dozen to go around, other customers came first!

    Mmmm. Rosewater and cardamom. Cardamom and anything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These sound . . . stellar. I don't even know what to comment! Oh my.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These looked soooo good! And how cute is that picture you drew?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not leaving this blog til I get some of these...please. I love cardamom and rosewater. OMG

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, my gosh. Cardamom is one of my favorite spices. Those cinnamon rolls look crazy delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous12:48 PM

    I'm bummed I didn't get to taste these on Saturday! I'll have to make some for myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. These cardamom rolls look and sound amazingly good, I think I will make the filling and then figure out a gf baked good to add it to!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mmm. One question - how did you package these for the bake sale? I can't wait to try these! I've made cinnamon rolls before, but this sounds like a great combo.

    Viva Vegan MoFo!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous3:05 PM

    not that i'm getting sick of regular old cinnamon rolls. but i'm totally gonna have to upgrade. these look so amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would of definitely bought those delicious cinnamon buns, my mouth is so watery right now...delicioso.

    Millie

    http://nuestracena-vegancuisine.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooh yum! In Sweden, most "cinnamon rolls" have tons of cardamom in them, too. I think it's where I got my cardamom-freakishness. Also, they make this delightful concoction that involves a cardamom sweet roll, removing its top and scooping out the bready insides, mixing it with almond paste and cream, putting it back inside, then topping it with whipped cream and the little bread top and dusting the whole shebang with powdered sugar. I've always wanted to veganize it... (sorry for my random dreamings)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh wow, what a delicious sounding combination. I really want a cinnamon roll now! Also I love the cute illustration at the bottom of this post!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous6:40 AM

    These cinnamon rolls look delicious and look as good as any you would find in any fine bakery!! But they are just as unhealthy.
    Sorry to spoil your fun and party, I know you put a lot of effort in what you do.

    Vegans do everything they can do make bake good look just like and taste like non vegan foods. Vegans who eat vegan junk food tend to be as fat as the rest of the population.

    vegans who eat salt, oil and sugar will have some of the same health problem non-vegans do. I know many a vegan who prides themselves for not eating animals and they are also very over weight. They do not look healthy.
    Bake good are very low in nutrition and Bakes goods have high levels of acrylamides which can cause cancer.
    Vegans have a great message, If vegans want people to listen to their message. they have to start eating better and be excellent examples of health.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous9:57 AM

    Oh my! I love this combination, I'm totally bookmarking this to try later.

    ReplyDelete
  16. YUM!!! Cardamom is my all-time favorite spice, and cardamom sticky buns are my favorite dessert ever. I usually stick to cardamom-orange rolls, but I'll have to make these ASAP because I know how fantastically almonds and rosewater go with cardamom !

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous4:51 PM

    Wow. Just imagining the smell is delightful--I'll have to try them subbing hempseed for the almonds so I don't kill my boy.

    And let it be known I have no problem with a treat now and then--and I think you're an incredibly healthy-looking person. I applaud your baked goods! (Never read the comments. Never read the comments.)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anonymous5:37 PM

    This sounds delicious! WANT!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anonymous9:04 PM

    Wow great idea! I bet the filling would also be good stuck in the cavity of pear halves and baked!

    :) jen e.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm now wondering what else I can make 'cinnamon' rolls with... Sounds like a fun day of experimenting one weekend soon. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, they really make my day! Thanks for reading my blog! I'm sorry I had to turn on word verification and comment moderation - I was getting so many spam comments!