Wednesday, October 30, 2019

Chai Spice Marzipan Pumpkins! Recipe!

our little Angel Stevie Wonder

Happy Halloween!


Yesterday, while I was in yoga class and should have been contemplating the union between consciousness and the material form, instead I was dreaming up a great idea: Chai Spice Marzipan Pumpkins!! 

I based this recipe on the little marzipan "Tut" or "Mulberries" that I make every year for Persian New Year (original recipe from My Persian Kitchen). They're easy and delicious, and perfect little bite-sized morsels. The Tut have almonds and sugar and rosewater in them, and they are magical. So, for these Halloween treats, I de-Persianized the tut recipe and turned them into delicious fall nuggets. I'm super proud of this recipe! Let me know if you make them! 

(Dottie broke her toe, so she has a splint on her back leg right now)

Chai Spice Marzipan Pumpkins
makes 28-30 little pumpkins

Chai Spice Mix
1/8 tsp cardamom
1/8 tsp allspice
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1/8 tsp ground cloves 
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger (scant)

Mix it all together. 

Marzipan Pumpkins
1.5 cups slivered almonds
1.5 cups powdered sugar
3/4-1 tsp chai spice
2 Tbsp + 2 tsp water
1 tsp vanilla extract
orange food coloring
1-2 Tbsp almond meal, as needed
1/3 cup sugar
28-30 raw pistachio slivers*

Place the slivered almonds, powdered sugar, and chai spice in the bowl of a food processor and whiz it all together until quite smooth and well-blended. Obviously, the larger quantity of chai spice will give a more heavily spice flavor. Once well-ground, add in the water, food coloring, and vanilla extract. If the dough seems quite moist, add in the 1-2 Tbsp of almond meal. I almost always need to add this, as I prefer the "dough" to be a bit more stiff than loose, but it depends a bit on how the sugar and almonds mix up. The dough should be sticky, but workable, and the color should be well-incorporated. You can take it out of the food processor and stir it in a bowl to blend in the color. 

Now, put the sugar in a little bowl. Roll the dough into small little balls - about the size of a small melon ball - and then roll the balls in the sugar to coat them. Use your thumb to gently flatten them slightly into a squat pumpkin shape. Take a pistachio sliver, and poke it into the pumpkin to mimic a little stem.

Eat your tiny pumpkins! Share them with friends! 

*I just buy some raw pistachios and use a sharp knife to cut some slivers. 


Happy Halloween!
I hope you have a nice holiday!


5 comments:

  1. Absolutely prize-winning recipe. So perfect. Daddy approves!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute! So sweet! I love absolutely everything about these spicy little morsels.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, they really make my day! Thanks for reading my blog! I'm sorry I had to turn on word verification and comment moderation - I was getting so many spam comments!